DOS Program Hangs on Windows Server 2008

AzizOnDeck

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Let's start off with the network and then I'll address the issue but the title explains most if not all of it.

ISP: ATT High Speed Internet Elite 4down 768up
Modem - Speed Stream 5360
Firewall - Cisco PIX 501
Switch - Linksys SR216
Server- Windows Server 2008 x32 Build 6001
Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz
2.00GB RAM
Standard Mechanical 7200 RPM HDD 500GB
****LAST UPDATED WAS 2013****

Software: NEBS Check Writer Version 4.0 DOS
This DOS program they use to manage their database written in Clipper keeps freezing mainly during times of heavy load, especially for a big order going towards a customer. The only solution is to close out and start over which isn't really a solution.

If I'm missing any key information let me know I probably just forgot to include it. Also attached a dump with heap of the dos program after I saw it was frozen.

Issue:

So by now we all the know the issue is that the nebs program based off dos is starting to bug out but the real confusing part is that they haven't had this issue before.

I plan on going into the site again to do an update after hours and come back in tomorrow morning to double check whether or not the update went successfully.

Any tips?

Realize no attach a file feature so I'll upload to my dropbox.
cmd.dump

Hi

If this is really a Ms dos program then I would be amazed if it worked under windows
Possibly in a virtual machine running ms dos

What has changed recently on this server?
Although they may say nothing has changed you need to try and find out what happened recently from various logs on the server

I could not find anything on Google except business forms inc cheques

https://www.nebs.com/nebsEcat/index.jsp

Let us know how you get on

Regards
Mike Barnes

AzizOnDeck

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Sorry negate the ms part just DOS. As clippers runs primarily under DOS.

As far as any changes made to the server, none that I'm able to tell.

I've looked through the logs, they all seem to be the usual error you get when logging in with the wrong credentials.
Never saw any 2019 or 2020 errors so I figured it couldn't be due to a lack of hardware.

There were a couple logs that I should have taken better notice of however, and I'll do that when I get in today.

As far as their services running in the background the only non microsoft one was GoToMyPc which they use to connect to their other location's server.

Hi

Do you mean a program running under Ms dos ? (Eg DOS)

Or runs under. NT or latter cmd prompt interpreter

What sort of printer does the cheque printer software use ?
What sort of printer interface? (Network, usb , parallel )

Can date of problems starting be linked to a Ms windows update ?

Regards
Mike Barnes

AzizOnDeck

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
I believe I'm confusing myself with terminology here.

Let me break it down to lessen the confusion for myself.
To run the NEBS programs we open up the command prompt to the directory the database is in as well as the program.
Call the program by name and the UI for NEBS runs under the command prompt.

That's how we access the database for their POS system.

I'm almost certain that none of the occurring problems can be due to a previous update no updates have been done for 2 years.
Printer interface is parallel.

Hi

Have you any idea how much ram is required by the NEBS program and database (and POS)

2 GB is not much RAM if many other services or programs are running at the same time
any new programs running at the same time?

is the database loaded into ram ?
if so over time it will take up more RAM and will use the swap file / page file more

regards
Mike Barnes

If I remember correctly (20+ years), Clipper' networking is based on file sharing (that is, all copies access same file over the network, opened in shared mode, relying on the OS to lock parts of the file).

So, I would target my research toward that file - where it is hosted, and what is connectivity between clients and the server.

AzizOnDeck

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Hey guys, really do appreciate all the advice.

Here's the update so far:

Corrections:

The printer is running off of the Network via USB.
The serial port that was connect to an old printer they no longer used and when he did a test print he switched the serial port to another printer so I got confused.
(Originally had to do a database recovery from an old server)

Update:
So we tried doing a backup last night but didn't go so well, wouldn't back up to a USB, wouldn't back up a hard drive. So we didn't go through with an update. Planning on going with a ram upgrade and see how it goes from there.

As for clippers I plan on asking the programmer, he's a fairly old geezers so not sure if he'll remember.