Question Double-clicking problem on Cougar Minos X3 mouse ?

SJRouge91

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Hello all, as the title states my Cougar mouse has a double-clicking problem; specifically the left side, and I know I'm going to have to disassemble it in order to replace the switch for it, but my problem is that I have no idea how to open it up, as it has no screws or other obvious indicators. I tried asking on another forum (Ifixit) but sadly I got no response, and I really would like to fix it as despite the double clicking everything else works fine, so if anyone could please help out I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to link to my question on Ifixit since I can't upload pictures here; at least I don't see an option to anyway, and hopefully someone can find the area where to open it.

Link to my forum question: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...e-clicking+issue+with+a+Cougar+Minos+X3+Mouse

SJRouge91

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Have you tried taking off the bottom skates? Majority of the time, the screws to the mouse are underneath the bottom skates.

Hi there, thanks a lot for the reply but I'm not sure where the skates are, do you think you could see where they are in the pictures?? If not I could upload more pics if needed.

SJRouge91

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
View attachment 185

Where the red arrows are pointing to are the skates. You want to make sure when removing them you don't damage them, unless you have replacements. These are what make you mouse glid on the mouse pad.

Oh I see now, and just one more question: what tool would I use to remove them? I have a spudger that I think I could use to remove them, but I'm not really sure if that's the correct tool.

Reactions: Superdado

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes, that will work, specially if you have an iFixIt tool kit. You just want something sharp that can get under one of the edges and peel it up and back. You don't want to bend or crease it the best you can. It should keep a good amount of the adhesive so you can re-apply once you get it all back together.

Reactions: SJRouge91

SJRouge91

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Yes, that will work, specially if you have an iFixIt tool kit. You just want something sharp that can get under one of the edges and peel it up and back. You don't want to bend or crease it the best you can. It should keep a good amount of the adhesive so you can re-apply once you get it all back together.

I have the Pro Tech kit and a soldering iron too, so I should have everything needed to open it up and fix it, just gotta get a replacement switch now. Thanks again for the help it's much appreciated. :)

tecmo34

Administrator
Just one more comment and good luck on the repair too.

If it doesn't seem to come apart easily, there may be a screw under the warning label on the bottom to. Normally, they are just around the skates but can't rule out one being under the label.

SJRouge91

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Just one more comment and good luck on the repair too.

If it doesn't seem to come apart easily, there may be a screw under the warning label on the bottom to. Normally, they are just around the skates but can't rule out one being under the label.

Thanks for the tip, and just one last question: how did you upload a picture in your earlier reply? I didn't see an option otherwise I would have uploaded the pictures here as opposed to the link.