Question Double monitor set up will only display one monitor.

peterrose.47

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
I have used a double monitor set-up for some time now , without any issues , but after disconnecting (DP cables) so I could move my desktop, I can't get it to display both monitors together. I've tried switching the cables around which still gets only one monitor working, . I did try switching one cable to a HDMI cable, this got both monitors displaying but the one with the HDMI cab. showed tiny little speckles of red light all over screen. I''ve also updated the graphics driver to latest driver. I can get both monitors to display individually on their own ?? .. any clues on what might fix this problem much appreciated. ...btw . have done several google searches to find answers to problem :rolleyes: . ....Ge Force GTX 1070.

Try hitting the Windows flag key (the one between the CTRL and Alt buttons, bottom left on your keyboard), holding it and pressing P. This should bring up the Project menu. It's probably set to Duplicate there. If you click on Extend, it should display two different video streams.

After hitting Extend, it could be that your monitors are switched (e.g. your left monitor displays what the right one should display and vice versa). Change this by clicking an empty space on your desktop, click Display settings. Click Identify to see which monitor is which, and set it up so that your monitors left to right are in the same order as in the Display Settings window.

That should do the trick for you. If not, let me know (and please @ mention me, so I get a notification. :) )

peterrose.47

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
Try hitting the Windows flag key (the one between the CTRL and Alt buttons, bottom left on your keyboard), holding it and pressing P. This should bring up the Project menu. It's probably set to Duplicate there. If you click on Extend, it should display two different video streams.

After hitting Extend, it could be that your monitors are switched (e.g. your left monitor displays what the right one should display and vice versa). Change this by clicking an empty space on your desktop, click Display settings. Click Identify to see which monitor is which, and set it up so that your monitors left to right are in the same order as in the Display Settings window.

That should do the trick for you. If not, let me know (and please @ mention me, so I get a notification. :) )

peterrose.47

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply the quick reply @taeioum . Still no success. I'm familiar with the (win. + P) shortcut , have used it a lot, but using it and clicking on ''extend'' dosen''t fix problem. Going into Settinds , then Display, Multiple Monitors, and clicking on Detect won't detect my second monitor ? ...that seems to be the crux of it. Again I''ve tried swapping and changing cables with no luck.

peterrose.47

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
MONITORS DELL UltraSharp U2719D DP x 1 , DP x1 (output for MST) , HDMIx1 ,
BenQ HDMI x 1 (1.4) , HDMI x 1 (2.0) , 1 x DP .

GPU ASUS GeForce 1070 8GB. GDDR5.
Managed to get both monitors going, but had to use a HDMI cable to connect the BenQ monitor to pc. The reason for that I'm not sure. First time I tried using a HDMI cable there was a lot of inteference on the screen..... .. does hot swapping cables when trying different options( not powering down the PC)do any damage ?

Last edited:
does hot swapping cables when trying different options( not powering down the PC)do any damage ?
Nope, it should not, I do it quite often.
First time I tried using a HDMI cable there was a lot of inteference on the screen
Could be anything, even the plug not correctly pushed into socket. Seen many times the cable would not work at all when first plugged in, then work fine after few tries.
Managed to get both monitors going, but had to use a HDMI cable to connect the BenQ monitor to pc.
Possibly one of your DP cables suddenly stopped working. Or DP port on Benq failed. Or one of DP ports on GPU. Have you tested for all such possible problems?