Question Doubt about possibility of data theft following a ChatGPT Plus coupon

Oct 7, 2024
Hello,
I was searching for a discount code for ChatGpt PLUS and I entered on a site ( [) . There was a very good offer ( ChatGPT Plus for only $0.01 ). I clicked on " Show Deal " and then a window appeared " Deal approved - Go to ChatGPT and avail this offer ".

I decided not to go any further. I verified this site and I think it is legit and secure but I have a question: I would like to buy ChatGPT Plus ( obliouvsly from the official site ) but now I'm frightened because I'm afraid that by entering my credit card information anyway they might steal my data.

I clicked on that link and I'm afraid they installed something on my computer and now I don't know what to do.

Would you have any advice ? Do you think it is a safe site and nothing can happen since I did not go any further ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 27, 2024
It would be hard to say, something bad happened, or nothing bad happened, because there aren't enough details. But because it's rare/expensive to have a one-click infection, it's more likely that nothing bad happened.

For a setup like this, you'd expect them to phish for your ChatGPT credentials, but they didn't do that, so maybe you didn't fit in their target profiles and you were just left with some innocuous but totally useless message that you got at the end.

Out of abundant precautions (probably unneeded), I'd clear cache/history/cookies on your browser, continue with your purchase on the official site, and watch your statements/purchases on the credit card.

I also leave you with these observations:
  1. Too-good-to-be-true lures are used to get people to do something they shouldn't (install malware, provide sensitive information, etc.). If you can totally avoid this, you would be safer.
  2. The legitimacy of the hosting service doesn't guarantee the legitimacy of the deals presented on the service. The services themselves may not have enough protections to disallow you from becoming prey.
  3. Credit cards are good at helping fighting frauds, but debit cards are not the same.

TRENDING THREADS