Question Doubts about buying an RTX 3060 Ti ?

Dec 11, 2022
Hello everyone! I am thinking of doing a major upgrade to my PC, these are the current specifications:
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 3.40GHz, Socket LGA 1151
  • GPU: Radeon RX460 2GB GDDR5, "Sapphire"
  • RAM: 8GB x 1
  • SSD: BX500 2.5 480GB, "Crucial"
  • HDD: 1TB, RPM 7200
  • Mother: ASUS B150M-A, Micro ATX
  • PSU: Seasonic A12-700 80 PLUS (Edited)
On the one hand I want to increase my RAM, at least another 8GB (16 in total), I know it's not much yet, but one step at a time :)

But the main thing I want to change is the graphics card to an RTX 3060 Ti, but I'm really not sure what I have to consider, for example, will my motherboard could to handle it?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Power supply needs replacing. I don't know WHAT that Sentey is, when it was made, and can't find any relevant info on it, so won't trust it.
2)Need a dual dimm ram kit, that goes without saying.
If you still have room in the budget for a 3060Ti after those 2 things off, THEN go for it... but the psu is definitely the bigger flag between the 2.
As for what, something from Tier B or higher, HERE.

Don't need to change mobo until ready for upgrade to new platform... actually, including that would really kill the goal for a gpu upgrade:
1)Need new psu above all.
2)A new mobo to go alongside a cpu upgrade.
3)Need a dual dimm ram kit, but I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to get a new kit of DDR4 now or soon when it's EoL, DDR5 is here and will become more affordable. 12th and 13th gen Core i can use DDR5, while Ryzen 7000 must use it.
4)Probably don't have any budget left for a gpu after that...

Reactions: SantiGG

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You don't want to know what that Sentey is. It's horrifying.

1031487_2.jpg

For those who can't see the fine print, it can't even put out 200W of +12V power; in modern terms, it's a bad 192W PSU pretending to be a 650W. I've seen some bad Sentey PSUs, but this is on a whole different level of horror; these are the specs of a PSU designed to work on PCs from 1994.

Dec 11, 2022
Sorry, guys... I posted my old PSU, I changed that one this year... Now I have a Seasonic A12-700 80 PLUS... Am I wrong or is it in Tier A on the list?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Sorry, guys... I posted my old PSU, I changed that one this year... Now I have a Seasonic A12-700 80 PLUS... Am I wrong or is it in Tier A on the list?

It is definitely not in Tier A. This is an ancient design, also group-regulated and 230V only which means some cost-cutting. But it's less dire of an ancient design that the one you listed before. It's not on the tier list at all, but mostly likely a C or a D with the other legacy, archaic PSUs that SeaSonic sells for basic systems on budget.

It is also not suitable for a 3060 Ti, though it probably won't blow up everything like the other PSU may have.

Reactions: SantiGG
Dec 11, 2022
Thank you very much for your help both of you! (And sorry for my mistake with the "Tier A", haha, the hardware is still difficult for me)

I'll talk to my supplier to see what he can offer me, the truth is that I was already exceeding my budget just with the GPU, but maybe I can change to a cheaper one and change the PSU instead just get the 3060.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022
I'm in Argentina, here the "MSI RTX 3060 Ti" is around 1,000 USD, and the "ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT" is around 770 USD. It's a little cheaper and I could use the difference to change the PSU, I'll think about it, thank you very much!

Dec 11, 2022
Well, after a lot of research based on your recommendations I put together something that I THINK might work.

After the upgrades, it would look like this:
  • GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Dual OC 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 (UPGRADE)
  • RAM: 8GB x 2 (16 GB Total) (UPGRADE) (I know that it is still not enough, the next step would be to increase this to 32GB but today it is beyond my budget)
  • PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750 Bronze V2 750W 80+ Bronze (UPGRADE) (Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's the "MWE V2 Bronze" that is in Tier B)
What do you think? Do you think it could work?

Thanks!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, after a lot of research based on your recommendations I put together something that I THINK might work.

After the upgrades, it would look like this:
  • GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Dual OC 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 (UPGRADE)
  • RAM: 8GB x 2 (16 GB Total) (UPGRADE) (I know that it is still not enough, the next step would be to increase this to 32GB but today it is beyond my budget)
  • PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750 Bronze V2 750W 80+ Bronze (UPGRADE) (Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's the "MWE V2 Bronze" that is in Tier B)
What do you think? Do you think it could work?

Thanks!

Can't say about the PSU. Is it the full-range input one or not?

Dec 11, 2022
Ohhh... apparently it is not :/

Dec 11, 2022
Well, my supplier himself recommends me a less powerful GPU, something like a 1660 TI or Super or similar... He says that the PCI of my MOBO would not support a 3060 Ti (I don't know exactly what it that, but I'm assuming that neither the RX 6650). I guess I'll go this way, since I can't besides the PSU change the MOBO too.

Thank you all very much for your help, I imagine that I will be making changes little by little! But the information that you gave me was very useful, especially to learn! :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022
I don't "have to", it's just where I usually buy...

It is more likely due to incompetence than lack of honesty, because it offers me a much cheaper GPU than the one I consulted for, so I don't know...

Maybe I should look in other store, but I'm worried they're taking advantage of my ignorance (what we know here in Argentina as "viveza criolla", jeje)

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
6650XT seems a good choice here. I would be interested if there is any bottleneck on a 6th Gen CPU at 1080p but it's definitely an good solution and I suspect any bottleneck would be slight