Question Doubts about damage to my external HDD ?

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I finished copying the files to my 2.5" external HDD. I ejected the HDD in Windows 10 but the enclosure's LED was on, and then I went to pull the USB 3.0 cable but when the cable came out of the PC port my hand hit the side of the HDD enclosure and it moved slightly across the table. Did this event cause damage to the HDD within it?

USAFRet

Titan
because? any protection?
An unmounted drive is far less subject to 'damage' from moving around, than one that is actively spinning and writing data at that moment.

The movement you caused is probably less than picking it up, and putting it in a backpack to take to school or work.

If drives were as fragile as people seem to think, we would never have been able to have laptops with spinning drives.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Since which year was the "parking" technology for 2.5" HDDs introduced in all brands and models?

In Windows 10, there is an option to safely eject the drive from the Windows tray. When this option is activated, does the HDD enter parking mode or not, or does it only enter parking mode when it is completely turned off? This guarantees protection against accidental knocks when unplugging the USB 3.0 cable, although some external HD cases do not turn off the LED after ejecting in Windows.

Self-parking predates 2.5" drives. It was a highly-touted feature of some of the last MFM/RLL disks, so you would no longer need to remember to issue the DOS "Park" command before shutting off the computer. All IDE disks came with it since 1986, using a really clever mechanism--when power is cut, the momentum of the still rotating disc uses the motor as a generator to power the movement of the head arm to its parking area.

Of note, before SSDs became popular, many 2.5" drives had a "free-fall sensor" which would forcibly park a still-powered-on disk if a drop was detected, in time to prevent damage from a >8" fall. Such a thing would not help with direct impacts.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Self-parking predates 2.5" drives. It was a highly-touted feature of some of the last MFM/RLL disks, so you would no longer need to remember to issue the DOS "Park" command before shutting off the computer. All IDE disks came with it since 1986, using a really clever mechanism--when power is cut, the momentum of the still rotating disc uses the motor as a generator to power the movement of the head arm to its parking area.

Of note, before SSDs became popular, many 2.5" drives had a "free-fall sensor" which would forcibly park a still-powered-on disk if a drop was detected, in time to prevent damage from a >8" fall. Such a thing would not help with direct impacts.
Some people say that ejecting the external HDD (2.5" HDD + Orico or Kesu case) through Windows 10 puts the HD in safe parking mode. Other people say that ejecting in Windows 10 only closes processes and stops file transfer and reading but does not put it in parking mode. I contacted Seagate's chat but they didn't even know how to answer. Is there a study article on this specific subject? What really happens? This parking mode was introduced in 2.5" HDs from which year on all HDs of any brand?
0edfcab7-c9ac-4c92-90d7-8373f7a7e8dc.png

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
It was a highly-touted feature of some of the last MFM/RLL disks
Many thanks for taking me back to my first 30MB 5.25in RLL hard disk, then a pair of 3.5in 20MB Lapine Titans.

but does not put it in parking mode
If I have any doubts after closing an external 3.5" or 2.5" disk with "Safely Remove Hardware", I gently touch the USB housing and see if I can still feel the platters spinning. This is much easier on 3.5in drives. Better still, shut down the whole computer before disconnecting the USB drive. Even then, if the drive has its own external +5V or +12V power supply, there's still a chance the heads might not be parked.

Did this event cause damage to the HDD within it?
Instead of theorizing about possible damage, why not subject the drive to a long S.M.A.R.T. scan? Thinking about it until you're blue in the face won't prove anything.

Download an evaluation copy of Hard Disk Sentinel and run a non-destructive "Read test". This can take several hours to complete on a high capacity disk, or even longer if there are faults.

iu

If the scan result comes back like this, with loads of yellow and red blocks, your drive is toast.
Note the elapsed time of 10 hours 10 minutes for this test on a badly damaged 74GB hard disk.

iu

Of course your drive could drop dead tomorrow, even if it's 100% "healthy" today. Make backups.

When travelling, I take a few Crucial X6 portable SSDs, instead of 4TB hard disks. No more head crash worries.

I've seen sights such as this when pulling old hard drives apart, so who knows, perhaps you have damaged your hard disk with that slight knock.:mad:

iu

All of my external drives noticeably shut off when Eject is selected in Windows. This is especially obvious with the toaster-style docks and a 2.5" 10,000rpm WD VelociRaptor disk in them because those are loud and there is no case on a dock. Try putting your ear next to the case when you click Eject to see if you can hear it shut off.

Sometimes when I move an external disk to internal, Windows will still allow me to Eject it, and I can definitely hear it power off then even though it's still connected to live internal power. I have to reboot the system to get the drive back.