Question Doubts about damage to my external HDD ?

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I finished copying the files to my 2.5" external HDD. I ejected the HDD in Windows 10 but the enclosure's LED was on, and then I went to pull the USB 3.0 cable but when the cable came out of the PC port my hand hit the side of the HDD enclosure and it moved slightly across the table. Did this event cause damage to the HDD within it?

USAFRet

Titan
because? any protection?
An unmounted drive is far less subject to 'damage' from moving around, than one that is actively spinning and writing data at that moment.

The movement you caused is probably less than picking it up, and putting it in a backpack to take to school or work.

If drives were as fragile as people seem to think, we would never have been able to have laptops with spinning drives.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Since which year was the "parking" technology for 2.5" HDDs introduced in all brands and models?

In Windows 10, there is an option to safely eject the drive from the Windows tray. When this option is activated, does the HDD enter parking mode or not, or does it only enter parking mode when it is completely turned off? This guarantees protection against accidental knocks when unplugging the USB 3.0 cable, although some external HD cases do not turn off the LED after ejecting in Windows.

Self-parking predates 2.5" drives. It was a highly-touted feature of some of the last MFM/RLL disks, so you would no longer need to remember to issue the DOS "Park" command before shutting off the computer. All IDE disks came with it since 1986, using a really clever mechanism--when power is cut, the momentum of the still rotating disc uses the motor as a generator to power the movement of the head arm to its parking area.

Of note, before SSDs became popular, many 2.5" drives had a "free-fall sensor" which would forcibly park a still-powered-on disk if a drop was detected, in time to prevent damage from a >8" fall. Such a thing would not help with direct impacts.