Question Power outage, now HDD keeps trying to start (linked audio clip). What failed and is it recoverable?

AllTracTurbo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2014
I bought a new WD Blue 8TB HDD in May (shipped and sold by Amazon). I was going to use it as an external, but I installed it in my computer temporarily so I could copy files to it easier. I filled about 4TB and then procrastinated about removing it and putting it in an external enclosure. It was still in my computer when the power went out to my house for about 1 second and turned back on. I unplugged my computer and waited a couple hours to make sure the power was stable before turning my computer back on again. When I plugged my computer back in, it wouldn't boot and I could hear the HDD spinning up and making a beeping noise over and over. I knew what this meant, so I shut it down and removed the drive.

The computer booted fine and I plugged the HDD in with a USB adapter so I could record the noise it is making. You can hear the platters spin up and then I think there might be the sound of the heads moving before hearing something that sounds like two beeps, then the process repeats. I uploaded the audio here:

Audio file of the HDD noise (you will need to turn your volume way up to hear it spin up. It goes through two cycles. The beeps are around 6s and 15s)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfoqWzmZ00o

Unfortunately I did not make a second backup of the files, so I would like to be able to recover the data if possible, but it is not important enough to me to pay someone to do it. Does anyone know what would have failed to cause this specific beeping type sound? Maybe there was some kind of power surge that burned something out on the board? If that is the case, would it be as simple as buying another same model drive and swapping the board? I remember reading many years ago that there is a chip on the board that stores data about the platters and that needed to be swapped as well, but I'm not sure if all HDDs work that way.

I have learned my lesson and if I am able to recover the data, I will get another drive and make two copies of everything. I am also thinking about getting a UPS for my computer.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2024
So first the thing I'm sure of: You absolutely should get a UPS, especially if the power where you live is unstable or unclean in some way. That's very good thinking :)

Then something I'm less sure of: To me that doesn't sound like a beep, it sounds like a scratch; like of a needle on metal. I would assume that being used is causing some kind of physical issue and the drive should not be relied on for important documents.

Finally my guesswork: If the data isn't important enough to pay for, then I would say plug the HDD into the external enclosure, plug it into you PC once it boots, maybe do a quick SMART scan, and copy whatever works to the PC if it works at all. Worst case scenario you lose the unimportant files, best case scenario you have a less stable but existing backup.

AllTracTurbo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2014
Finally my guesswork: If the data isn't important enough to pay for, then I would say plug the HDD into the external enclosure, plug it into you PC once it boots, maybe do a quick SMART scan, and copy whatever works to the PC if it works at all. Worst case scenario you lose the unimportant files, best case scenario you have a less stable but existing backup.
I tried to let it spin up as little as possible. I immediately pulled it out of the computer so it didn't keep trying to start and do more damage. Then I connected it with an external SATA adapter to see if it was the drive or if maybe a SATA port or something else on the motherboard failed. Then I recorded the audio and disconnected it.

It's hard to believe it could die so easily. It was just sitting idle in the computer as a mass storage drive not being used when the power went out. That makes me think maybe there was some kind of power surge that killed something on the board.

I would really like to be able to get the data off it, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. I can't connect it to try and copy data because it will not connect. It is in some kind of boot loop where it keeps trying to initialize the drive over and over. That is what the sound in the audio above is. It spins up, the heads move, then there is something that sounds like two beeps, then it repeats. I don't think it can get the info to give to the computer to mount the drive.

I was hoping maybe someone knew what that specific looping sequence meant and maybe it is a common electrical failure on the board that could be fixed. I'm not that great at soldering, but I could follow instructions to check something with a multimeter and if a part is found to be bad, that would be cheap to have someone replace locally.

If I can't find a solution, maybe someone knows of a site that is more focused specifically on diagnosing HDD failures where I could post the audio?

which power supply are you using in your pc?
which exact HDD Wd model is it? should be labeled on top of it.
are you sure you connected the external sata correctly ? did you connect an external power supply to it as well?

usually this sound is like you said it tries to initialize/power on but fails due to a power error.
most likely a so called TVS diode was triggered while the power was cut. should be the 12Volt one.
it's like a fuse but will be 0Ohm after such a failure. you can replace or just remove it to get the HDD powering on again.
could also be like you earlier discribed, that the electronic board was damaged in a different way and you would need to replace it. The bios chip have to be exchanged to the donor board.