Question PC disconnecting from games but not internet?

EndeligGnist

Reputable
Sep 23, 2020
As the title states, I have been disconnecting from games, but only in games. Sometimes I get ping spikes before, but most times, I just disconnect without warning. The funny thing is, everything else seems to work just fine. Maybe it's preloaded, but my YouTube or netflix is still playing in the background, and my Internet still seems to be connected.

This issue came up about a week or two ago, when I just started playing Runescape. The game seemed to run fine for the first few days, then I started to get random disconnects frequently. I thought it was just the game at first, but then I started disconnecting playing Overwatch and Battlefield 1.

I use an ethernet connection and have never had a similar issue for over 3 years now and my upload and download speeds are about 900mbs. Here's what I have tried: flushing my DNS, making registry edits, changing my ethernet cable 3 times, reinstalling my network drivers, resetting my router, but nothing. Hell, I even tried updating my windows from 10 to 11, but the problem still persists.

I know the issue is not with my router because I have another PC plugged into the network and it works fine. The WiFi works fine on other devices too, but interestingly enough, when I connect to WiFi on my PC, the same problem persists. I'm not sure what the problem is, could it be software, a hardware issue or could some settings have been changed? Is there anything I can do to diagnose this problem?

Here's my network configuration:
Router: Asus RT-AX53U
I have an enternet cable from the router connected to an ethernet hub, which is connected to 2 PCs.

PC:
Asus ROG STRIX Z590A
Intel core i9-10900KF
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200mhz CL16
Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3080Ti
Superflower Leadex III Gold 850W

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I even tried updating my windows from 10 to 11, but the problem still persists.
If you're yet on Windows 11 after the internal upgrade path, you're advised to recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 11 and reinstall it after a format, in offline mode. Once you've installed the OS, manually install all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, then connect to the internet to update the OS.

Have you checked to see if your router is pending any firmware updates?

Asus ROG STRIX Z590A
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

EndeligGnist

Reputable
Sep 23, 2020
I even tried updating my windows from 10 to 11, but the problem still persists.
If you're yet on Windows 11 after the internal upgrade path, you're advised to recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 11 and reinstall it after a format, in offline mode. Once you've installed the OS, manually install all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, then connect to the internet to update the OS.

Have you checked to see if your router is pending any firmware updates?

Asus ROG STRIX Z590A
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.
Thank you for your response.

I'll have to get back to you regarding my bios later since I'm at work now, but it has been over a year since I last updated it. Do you think that can be a potential issue? If so, why has my connection issue just occur a week or two ago?

There are no pending updates for my router, and regarding windows 11, the problem persisted even before I upgraded it.

I'm using a Superflower Leadex III Gold 850W PSU (original thread edited to reflect it).

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
youtube and netflix buffers in, so it may appear to be connected for a time but then the buffer runs out. have you tried a different app that is connected live that you can tell if it affects that as well as the games?