Downgrade from Win8 to Win7

everardi

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hello,

I am trying to install Win7 on this laptop - Asus R503U. 5 minutes of Win8 and it has to go.

I bought a Win7 DVD and I'm trying to install but laptop hangs while installing at the Windows is starting screen. I can't find anything wrong and don't know why the install keeps hanging.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Everard

If you have a flash drive, go and get a digital copy from microsoft. Then Make the flash drive bootable and copy the install files over. This should make the install much faster and remove some optical disk reading problems that can occur when installing.

everardi

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I have Win8 64bit and bought Win7 64bit.

Thanks for helping.

Everard

everardi

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I've never tried the download digital copy. I'll give that a go. Can I copy just from the DVD I have just bought?

Do you think it is a CD read problem?

Thanks,
Everard

asktod

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
It is most likely an optical problem, download a digital copy of the selected Windows OS you bought to a USB Flash Drive. Then just use the license inside of the booklet you bought when prompted to do so.

everardi

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I can't find where to digitally download on the microsoft website. Do you have a link for it?

Thanks,
Everard

everardi

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Yes, new laptop, and yes the DVD has been working correctly.

I have tried 2 Win7 DVDs. The one I bought and a system rebuild from another system I have.

Both gave the same result.

Thanks,
Everard

everardi

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I have not gotten to the point of formatting the drive.

I have tried the install 2 ways:

1) Running in setup in Win8, selecting drive C, then the system resets and tries to install and freezes

2) Booting from DVD first, tries to install files, and then freezes

Both hang at the same point. Starting Windows

Thanks,
Everard

You cannot do an OS "downgrade". The only way to go back to a previous operating system is to wipe the drive clean, and start over. Its just that simple, there is no other way around it.