Download Chrome OS for Free With VMWare

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I found an easy way to get this VM loaded on a USB or SD card.
1. You take a tool like WinImage and convert the VMDK to an IMA or IMG file.
2. Then, do a "restore disk image to drive" and write the IMG or IMA file to the USB drive or SD card.
3. I put it on an SD card and booted up my EeePC to Chromium OS.

You will need to connect your system to a copper, DHCP enabled Ethernet that can get out to the internet so you can login with your Google account. Then, once the system remembers your ID, you can login with the network disconnected so you can choose a WiFi network. The network HAS to be open with NO encryption or WEP and the SSID needs to be visible. I haven't figured out how to get it to work with WEP, WPA, or even a hidden SSID so I've had to resort to MAC access lockdown.

Cheers!

-Chris H

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I think Google will not make this all Cloud Based, it will quickly evolve into a nice OS with support for Open Office and the likes. The MS fanboys with NSA backdoors built into their proprietary closed and secretly developed OS are already making up anything they can to stick up for the convicted monopolist OS from MS.

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Well I got it to load and I got past the sign in screen but it just goes blue and does nothing. If I wanted stuff to crash I would run Windows ME in a virtual Machine :)

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I already have it running in virtualbox. I have to say its pretty slim on features so far. Its basically a browser with links to google apps. I don't have internet everywhere i go so its pretty close to useless since there is no local syncing/backup. Without local storage I find no use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.