Question Download speed capped at 1.1-1.2mbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDefaultGuy

Prominent
Dec 5, 2022
Hi, I noticed this a few months ago, my internet download speed seems to be capped at 1.1-1.2mbps, I didn't mind it much but its definitely starting to get annoying now, I don't know much about Networking but I really do think there's something off.

For example:
I recently reinstalled my game cause I replaced my storage, in this case its War Thunder, the download speed never even got up to 1.2mbps, it took me about 10-13hrs to download the full client which is about 47Gb
on Epic games, I redownloaded a free game on my library, same results 1.1-1.2mbps
even on Steam and Chrome, same results
and on my phone, slightly lower

Were not connected directly to an ISP, its sorta handled by a 3rd party that redistributes their internet to us down in the slums, they're the ones connected directly to the source, and we pay the 3rd party, we pay for about 20mbps.

My suspicion is, they might be throttling down the download speed for bandwidth management, because it's quite densely populated in my area and we share internet speeds. If that's the case, is there a sort of bypass that I could do at my end, because I don't think I can speak to them to remove the speed cap if there is one.

Thanks for response.

Lets see, you are doing something shady and you are dealing with other people who are doing something shady and you think there is a technical solution to this. ? :(

Could be as simple as they got greedy and resold internet to too many people. Together you and all the others might just be using more bandwidth than total internet connection has. In some ways it would have been better if they actually did limit or cap internet so everyone they resell to gets their fair share. But like most people that do stuff like this all they care about it the money they really don't care if they are ripping off their customers.

Even if this was a real ISP there is nothing you can do about things that are outside your house. There is no change on your router or pc that will make the connection to your house any faster. If you paid a actual ISP you could call and complain and "maybe" they would do something. There is a actual contract between you and the ISP....which of course still has clauses like "UP TO".

Not sure your solution. You find a different shady person who might be slightly less dishonest and make a deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.