Question Download speed capped at 160 mbps

Lukespino1

Reputable
Mar 8, 2021
Hello all! I usually get about 900 mbps speed on this computer, but am getting about 160 mbps now. Things I have tried include: Checking multiple computers on same ethernet port, checking this computer on multiple ethernet ports, flushing and renewing DNS, and disabling window auto-tuning level. I'm stuck and have no idea what to try anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is it only one machine or multiple since you tested more. If it affect multiple then it is not your machine.

If it is just yours then I would look for some of that network acceleration software. This many times comes bundled with the bloatware on motherboards and video cards. A very common name is cfosspeed but anything that claims to favor one kind of traffic over another should be uninstalled.

Lukespino1

Reputable
Mar 8, 2021
Is it only one machine or multiple since you tested more. If it affect multiple then it is not your machine.

If it is just yours then I would look for some of that network acceleration software. This many times comes bundled with the bloatware on motherboards and video cards. A very common name is cfosspeed but anything that claims to favor one kind of traffic over another should be uninstalled.
Just this machine. I haven't installed any software that I know of that would do these. This is my first time using this machine for about a month, and before it was normal but now I'm suddenly getting these bad download speeds.

Lukespino1

Reputable
Mar 8, 2021
Wired or WiFi?
What is telling you "160mbps"?
Hey, just to update. I ended up fixing it, funnily enough, I tried a different speed tester and it was normal. Should have tried that beforehand. I was initially using Speedtest by Ookla. Thanks again.

Even speedtest will give very different results depending on the server location you choose. Best number usually come from a speedtest site that is owned by your ISP if they have one. Even if the ping is a tiny bit higher many times it is still faster.

Lukespino1

Reputable
Mar 8, 2021
Even speedtest will give very different results depending on the server location you choose. Best number usually come from a speedtest site that is owned by your ISP if they have one. Even if the ping is a tiny bit higher many times it is still faster.
I wonder why it was like that only on one computer though.

TRENDING THREADS