[SOLVED] Download speed is slow on only my PC - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ograsmium

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
Hi all,

Really struggling here - I only get slow download speeds on my Dekstop PC; 2 other laptops and my mobile phone report great download speeds.

The network adapter is an Intel I219-V.

I have tried all of the following;

- Reinstalling network driver
- Disabling firewall (on Bitdefender)
- Trying my wireless adapter (also slow speeds)
- Disabling each adapter and trying the other
- Looking in the bios for settings
- Downloading the latest driver from the motherboard website
- Editing the group policy (limit bandwidth setting)
- Set the speed and duplex setting on the adapter to 1Gbps full duplex

There is probably more I've tried but cannot even remember now as I have tried so many. I am worried its a hardware issue, I have had this PC since 2019, but have been played by poor broadband due to the area I used to live in, now I have moved and have better broadband, I am worried I never saw this issue due to my poor download speeds before (possibly hiding a hardware issue).

Can anyone help?

Ograsmium

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
Understood. Have you tried alternate cables or ports? Also, inspect your PC's Ethernet port for debris.
Tried two cat 6 cables, and there is only one port unfortunately. It’s not only the Ethernet connection that is slow, it’s the WiFi too, so it sounds like either a motherboard issue??? Or something to do with the OS/applications.

Ograsmium

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
So I have been extremely lucky and found a windows OS on an NVME drive I had, it’s not a clean boot, but certainly doesn’t have all the programs and what not that I have on my OS.

The speeds are what I would be expecting, which means something on my “current” OS build is badly throttling my download speed (but not upload).

So I have two options, just wipe it all and start again, or try and sift through to find the culprit, but that feels impossible.

Any other ideas or I’ve got to bite the bullet?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So I have been extremely lucky and found a windows OS on an NVME drive I had, it’s not a clean boot, but certainly doesn’t have all the programs and what not that I have on my OS.

The speeds are what I would be expecting, which means something on my “current” OS build is badly throttling my download speed (but not upload).

So I have two options, just wipe it all and start again, or try and sift through to find the culprit, but that feels impossible.

Any other ideas or I’ve got to bite the bullet?
A clean install would likely be faster. Have you looked at what applications/services/processes are running in Task Manager?

What are you using to scan for malware?

Ograsmium

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
Try starting your system in safe mode and then test performance. Any difference?

A clean install would likely be faster. Have you looked at what applications/services/processes are running in Task Manager?

What are you using to scan for malware?
I have bitdefender, but am up for renewal if anyone has any better antivirus recommendations.

I haven't looked at my task manager yet, is there anything I should be looking out for apart from anything hogging my network?

kanewolf

Titan
I have bitdefender, but am up for renewal if anyone has any better antivirus recommendations.

I haven't looked at my task manager yet, is there anything I should be looking out for apart from anything hogging my network?
And you are sure you don't have any motherboard specific software like "Asus ROG" or "Game First" that runs? Those are very often the problem.

What motherboard do you have ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Personally, I just use Windows' built-in Defender. Really no need for a third party solution. It definitely has a smaller footprint than Bitdefender.

Ograsmium

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
And you are sure you don't have any motherboard specific software like "Asus ROG" or "Game First" that runs? Those are very often the problem.

What motherboard do you have ?
Funny you should say that, I know of ROG Game First being an issue on reddit, I do have an ROG Maximus Code XI, and don't know if the software is causing the issue. But I will run more tests tomorrow like @kanewolf mentioned and let you guys know. Thank you to everyone who has helped so far!

Ograsmium

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
Just to close of this thread - I never found out which specific software was causing an issue on my old OS build unfortunately - I would’ve loved to take the time to delete program by program, but I needed my pc up and running asap.

Fresh windows install was well overdue anyway, and download speeds have been just shy of 1000mbps consistently!

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Status
Not open for further replies.