[SOLVED] Download speed on steam vs speedtest online

coonsky

Prominent
Dec 23, 2020
Hello. I have got weird problem. So when I am checking download speed on sites using chrome or opera It shows that my download speed is around 70-80Mbps (I have got 600 mbps network) but when I am downloading game it has static 40 - 50MB/s so it is around 300 - 400 Mbps so everything is working fine. Why is this happening? I am using ethernet.

Solution
There tends to be a lot of difference between speedtest sites this is even more true if you are using some of the more unknown speedtesting services.

If possible you want to always select a testing site that is run by your ISP. Even if there were some strange issue the ISP can not fix things outside their network.

In general if you get any kind of test that runs close to the speed you pay for you do not have a actual network issue. Since all the data shares the same path going out of your house and to your ISP it all should run the same speed. Again anything outside your ISP you can do nothing about but since steam runs ok that means there is not
likely a problem.

What this leaves is some software on your machine doing...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Latency doesn't translate to bandwidth. Youre saying steam is giving you less download speed than speedtest right? Imagine a whole lot of people downloading from the same place, so it's either congestion or maybe speed is capped at server side to help with that.

There tends to be a lot of difference between speedtest sites this is even more true if you are using some of the more unknown speedtesting services.

If possible you want to always select a testing site that is run by your ISP. Even if there were some strange issue the ISP can not fix things outside their network.

In general if you get any kind of test that runs close to the speed you pay for you do not have a actual network issue. Since all the data shares the same path going out of your house and to your ISP it all should run the same speed. Again anything outside your ISP you can do nothing about but since steam runs ok that means there is not
likely a problem.

What this leaves is some software on your machine doing this. The most common one we see lately are all the so called "gamer" networking apps that come in the bloatware loaded by some motherboards or video cards. Anything you see on your machine that talks about giving traffic priority or QoS you should uninstall. One common name is CFOSspeed. This type of software is the most useless thing around and it causes all kinds of issues for people.

After that it is likely some other setting in the browser but these tend to be very hard to find. What you could do is test using a USB linux boot image. You can get ones that run completely from the USB stick and they almost always have chrome pre installed so you can just run the speedtest directly without installing anything.
If you would see the same poor test results then maybe it is some strange setting in the router. You do not want to be running any kind of QoS software there either. But if it runs fine you are still stuck with what strange setting in windows is causing this.

Solution
Hello. I have got weird problem. So when I am checking download speed on sites using chrome or opera It shows that my download speed is around 70-80Mbps (I have got 600 mbps network) but when I am downloading game it has static 40 - 50MB/s so it is around 300 - 400 Mbps so everything is working fine. Why is this happening? I am using ethernet.
70-80Mbps on sites......what sites?
40-50MBps games.

So games download faster that sites?

Mar 21, 2022
I'm confused are you saying you download 400 to 500 on speed test but 50 on steam or the other way around?

400 Mbps = 50MB so if you're getting 50MB downloading on steam that's the same thing