Question Download speed reduces. Network reset solves but then it happens again after a few minutes

sthcm

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
Hello

I've had some trouble with my Lenovo Legion laptop whereby the download speed (not usually the upload speed as well) will appear throttled. It can happen a few minutes after I restart my laptop or a few hours.

With the issue present... in settings > ethernet > network the link speed showed as 100 / 100 Mbps and the network profile was set to private.

I input commands into cmd as follows to try and resolve. Most of these minus the nbstat -rr, LSO in device manager I've done before and they've had a tempoprary effect for 5-10 mins.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

nbtstat -rr

netsh int ip reset all

netsh winsock reset

Then I disabled large send offload for the ethernet adapter in device manager.

This had no effect presumably because I hadn't restarted my laptop.

When in control panel > network and internet > network connections > ethernet > general

The speed was showing as 100 Mbps.

I clicked diagnose in the same window and it was recommended that a network reset should be performed.

Did that and restarted my laptop.

When I logged back in, steam store page was getting an error (-109 or 109 I think).

I switched my network profile from public to private and that solved the issue.

I checked my download speed and the ethernet status again which showed the dowload speed I would've expected and 1.0 Gpbs.

The only thing that looks to have changed in settings > ethernet > network under Properties is the DNS servers.

I may have, but doubt I've touched the DNS server settings recently if that is the root issue and if I have I've definitely tried the ones it's currently set to trying to solve this issue before.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have reduced the link speed to begin with? Or any test to try and recreate the issue to try and diagnose?

Thanks for any help

You likely have a bad ethernet cable. If you get enough errors it will cause slow usage.

The speed is negotiated by hardware and not really a setting. You want this set to auto.
When it comes up at 100mbps it is almost always the cable that is the issue.

I would try a new cable. You need nothing special cat5e is fine but make sure it has pure copper wire with size 22-24. Those flat cables have wire much too small to be certified as a ethernet cable

Reactions: CodeConnoisseur
May 7, 2024
You likely have a bad ethernet cable. If you get enough errors it will cause slow usage.

The speed is negotiated by hardware and not really a setting. You want this set to auto.
When it comes up at 100mbps it is almost always the cable that is the issue.

I would try a new cable. You need nothing special cat5e is fine but make sure it has pure copper wire with size 22-24. Those flat cables have wire much too small to be certified as a ethernet cable
Agreed that locking at 100 Mbps often means that one of the twisted pairs of the cable are broken or not connected properly.