Question Download speed went from 40-50 mbps to 10 mbps

Ralston18

Titan
600 Watt PSU noted. Specific make and model?

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Update History.

Reliability History: any error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time frame of "recently"?

Update History: any failed or problem updates around that time?

There are other tools to delve deeper. The current objective simply to get some sort of assessment regarding possible reasons.

However, my thought is that that 500 GB SSD may be just getting too full. Personally I limit disks to 70-80% of capacity.

Have you run Windows Disk Cleanup? Objective being to free up some disk storage space.

Is all important data backed up to other disks away from the host system in question? And the backups verified to be recoverable and readable?

Jan 6, 2024
600 Watt PSU noted. Specific make and model?

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Update History.

Reliability History: any error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time frame of "recently"?

Update History: any failed or problem updates around that time?

There are other tools to delve deeper. The current objective simply to get some sort of assessment regarding possible reasons.

However, my thought is that that 500 GB SSD may be just getting too full. Personally I limit disks to 70-80% of capacity.

Have you run Windows Disk Cleanup? Objective being to free up some disk storage space.

Is all important data backed up to other disks away from the host system in question? And the backups verified to be recoverable and readable?
Not sure what make the PSU is (and don't currently have time to get into the pc and look) but this pc is an IBUYPOWER prebuilt, so I think it's either a Raidmax or High power.

I just took a look at the reliability reports and was kind of surprised to see how many critical and informational events have happened this month (critical anywhere from 5 in one week to 71 in another and informational going from 0- 231) I'm not familiar with most of the programs listed on here but I'm assuming it's not good to have this many critical events happening.

From taking a quick glance through each week I don't see any failed or problems with updates, all I see is a lot of "Successful Windows update."

As for the possibility of a full disk causing these problems, I haven't had problems in the past with it even when sometimes the disk would go as low as 10-20gb left on it. I'll take a look at clearing up some more space with Disk Cleanup to see if that helps with the speeds though.

I currently do not have another disk with my important information on it, would it be smart to do so?

Ralston18

Titan
Smart to do so. Yes!

Backing up critically important data is mandatory. At least 2 x copies away from the current host system with the backups being verified as recoverable and readable.

Lots of critical events and varying critical events tend to indicate (to me) a faltering and failing PSU. Details matter.

Disk drives of any sort should not be filled beyond 70-80% of capacity. That is my personal rule/guideline but there are other different and fair opinions about the % range. Some dependency on the capacity of the drive; e.g. how much actual GB or TB space does the remaining 30 - 20% represent..... Can that space absorb large files and file changes?

= = = =

Think in terms of thresholds: You will not fall off of a cliff unless you get to some point X at the edge of the cliff.

One more inch or millimeter and gravity wins.....

Jan 6, 2024
Smart to do so. Yes!

Backing up critically important data is mandatory. At least 2 x copies away from the current host system with the backups being verified as recoverable and readable.

Lots of critical events and varying critical events tend to indicate (to me) a faltering and failing PSU. Details matter.

Disk drives of any sort should not be filled beyond 70-80% of capacity. That is my personal rule/guideline but there are other different and fair opinions about the % range. Some dependency on the capacity of the drive; e.g. how much actual GB or TB space does the remaining 30 - 20% represent..... Can that space absorb large files and file changes?

= = = =

Think in terms of thresholds: You will not fall off of a cliff unless you get to some point X at the edge of the cliff.

One more inch or millimeter and gravity wins.....
Haha I'll try to get ahold of a spare drive (does it matter if it's another HHD or SSD?)

I'm still trying to figure out what caused that sudden drop in performance. I just ran an internet speed test and got good ping (13) and download speeds (92 mb/s) but it's just the upload speeds that are lagging behind at 11 mb/s, but to be honest I have no idea what the previous results were of that same test, so it may still be exactly how it was before. I'm not sure if the 11 mb/s is normal in comparison to the 92 mb/s download speed and if this is what could be causing the problem. Could you give me any insight on this? (Edit: i just looked it up and saw that these numbers are well above the FCC's recommended minimums so scratch everything in this paragraph lol)
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/5c3cfc5e-33f2-480e-9b3d-47069f01a1ff

I also just updated my heavily neglected bios (was still running on a version from 2021) I think that may also be a factor of why there is so many errors, I don't know too much about this subject so I'm not entirely sure if that would even affect it.

Jan 6, 2024
Check to see if there are other processes running in the background that are using your hard disk. You might also check and see what your anti-virus says.
Thats what was confusing me, while doing the download where I realized how slow it was, I checked task manager and the disk % wasn't struggling at all (it was around 4%-10% if I recall correctly.) As for the antivirus I've ran a few scans (Mcafee and Malwarebytes to be exact) and I didn't get anything flagged.

Jan 7, 2024
Thats what was confusing me, while doing the download where I realized how slow it was, I checked task manager and the disk % wasn't struggling at all (it was around 4%-10% if I recall correctly.) As for the antivirus I've ran a few scans (Mcafee and Malwarebytes to be exact) and I didn't get anything flagged.
Have you had any problems with corrupted files?

TRENDING THREADS