[SOLVED] DPC_WATCH_DOG VIOLATION after Nvidia new driver update

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
I am constatly getting freeze followed by blue screen with error dpc_watch_dog violation from past weeks whenever I install graphic card driver. Issue started when Nvidia launched new driver update on 26 January. My laptop specs are:
CPU: i5 7200u processor
GPU: Intel uhd 620 and Nvidia 940mx
Ram: 8GB
HDD: 1TB
No SSD

I have clean booted windows but didn't worked. Old driver are not working either, not even driver from 2018 that comes from windows update.
I have used ddu to uninstall Nvidia driver in safe mode and reinstalled but that didn't worked.

I am getting code 43 error for Nvidia graphic card in device manager and IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers tab is missing either.
I am currently using integrated graphic card. Nvidia control panel is installed but does not start too.

I tried a lot of things from google so any help will be appeciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds to me like, if you having Graphics problems in 2 different operating systems, that the problem is physical and not the drivers. its possible the Nvidia gpu is dying, and since its a laptop, I assume you would need a new motherboard to fix it.

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
have you tried the drivers off your laptop website?

what make/model laptop is it?
I tried installing from website, they don't work either.
If I install basic driver using device manager, it shows up in device manager and later a yellow ! mark comes under icon on bottom left corner.

EDIT: laptop is lenovo ideapad 320 15IKB 80XL/YE

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have clean booted windows but didn't worked.
Do you mean clean install? i would have thought if only cause was the new Nvidia drivers, then a clean install of the OS and avoiding the drivers would be all it took.

I wonder if Ubuntu would have similar problems, try running it off the USB and see if it can use GPU - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/ (at least tell us if its windows to blame)

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
Do you mean clean install? i would have thought if only cause was the new Nvidia drivers, then a clean install of the OS and avoiding the drivers would be all it took.

I wonder if Ubuntu would have similar problems, try running it off the USB and see if it can use GPU - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/ (at least tell us if its windows to blame)
Does formatting C count towards clean install or I have to format whole drive?
I tried installing Nvidia VGA driver and it reached finish and restart now but graphic card is still not visible in task manager, previously driver installation would stuck at 10% and freezed. I am still getting yellow ! mark in device manager and code43 error.

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
you don't have a tab? or it has no controllers in it?

did you install the chipset drivers?
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/.../downloads/driver-list/component?name=Chipset
The whole tab was missing. And I did installed chipset driver. Actually I installed every driver available on manufacture site before installing Nvidia driver.

It is fixed now by changing from RAID to AHCI. I am currently installing graphic driver so let see what happened.

UPDATE: Install failed and but no error popped and jumped directly to attempting repairs followed by diagnosing PC and system recovery. Will try ubuntu tomorrow and update it.

Last edited:

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
try ubuntu and see if it can see card and use it.

Installed Linux mint cinnamon 20.1 (I already had ISO of it) and installed on hard disk. installed Nvidia driver version 460 through driver manager. it installed, rebooted. Then used NVTOP to monitor GPU usage, initially youtube video started freezing and looping on 1 sec (like it stucked saying one..one..one..one.... endlessly) and then whole system freezed. Did system Update before installing drivers.

Should I try ubuntu too? Also I have Standard SATA AHCI Controller while my cousin has lenovo 330 (next version but identical design with i5 8 gen and mx150) has Intel 6th generation core processor family platform I/O sata ahci contoller.

I don't have Intel corporation tab in update driver tab just Intel (my cousin and my PC has intel corporation tab under Intel tab driver update wizard (manual). I have installed chipset drive from manufacturer website.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sounds to me like, if you having Graphics problems in 2 different operating systems, that the problem is physical and not the drivers. its possible the Nvidia gpu is dying, and since its a laptop, I assume you would need a new motherboard to fix it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS