Jun 7, 2022
Hey everyone,

After 30+ hours of troubleshooting I am at the end of my rope and looking for some next steps.
The BSOD or freezing only occurs when my computer is "idling" (eg: Once booted, I can work, play games, etc) but if I leave the computer for 30min+ or overnight, I return to the BSOD or a completely frozen screen.

Google Drive: BSODs & Freezing (Win 11)
  • I have a few minidump files, screenshots, and more that can be reviewed in the above Google Drive folder
When the computer is stuck on the Bluescreen or frozen, I can usually reboot into Win11 but sometimes the Asus boot up screen freezes after posting (See "StuckAsusBootup.jpg" in Google Drive Folder).
Stop code: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Specs (Computer & Components are 1.5 years old):
Can view on PC Part Picker
  • MB: Asus ROG Strix B550f Gaming
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
  • GPU: Asus Tuf 3080
  • RAM: x2 16GB Corsair Vengeance (3200mhz)
  • PSU: Corsair AX 1000w 80+ Titanium
  • Drive: Western Digital 1TB M.2

Troubleshooting Completed:
  • Reviewed MiniDump files with 'BlueScreenView' (See "BlueScreenView.png" in Google Drive Folder)
    • ntoskrnl.exe+2db44f
  • Uninstalled and Reinstalled Nvidia Drivers (Used Custom Install not Express Install)
  • Win11 Updates
  • Reset RAM frequency from 3200mhz to "auto" in the BIOS
  • Reset BIOS to factory settings
  • Flashed BIOS with latest (non-beta) version from Asus website
  • Updated MB Chipset Drivers from the Asus website
  • Ran "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" commands
  • Booted into Safe Mode (w/ Networking) and confirmed that the computer was stable (no bluescreens or freezing after letting it site idle for 8+ hours)
  • Tried installing Windows 10 & 11 onto a spare M.2 drive (same freezing issues)
  • Pulled the trigger and clean installed Windows 11 (same freezing issues occurred and it would sometimes freeze during the Win11 OOBE setup)
  • Removed and reset CMOS battery
Key Notes:
  • No freezing or BSODs while booted into safe mode
  • The freezing & BSODs were much less frequent after uninstalling the GPU driver
    • Eg: The BSOD & freezing issue at first was happening 2 times a week, then every other day, then daily, and then any time I left my computer for more than an 30min/hour. (Multiple computer freezes during each boot up (could never get to the login screen)). Once I full uninstalled the GPU drivers, I could reliably login to Windows
  • I can always get into the BIOS, but sometimes (this morning) after a BSOD, the computer freezes on the Asus start up screen
  • Enabled "AMD fTPM" in the BIOS
  • I believe it is:
    • NOT a hardware issue since I could boot into safe mode and stably run
    • POTENTIALLY GPU driver related since once removing the driver the computer would experience significantly less freezes and Bluescreens
    • NOT a Win11 issue since I fully reinstalled Win11 (however I could be mistaken)
(I will add more details as I remember or if there are any questions)

Next Steps:
  • I borrowed a spare PC from a buddy to try some hardware swaps to try to determine the specific piece that may be causing me issues.
  • Hopefully one of you fine people are a bit more experienced with MiniDump files and can point me in the right direction :D

Hey everyone,

After 30+ hours of troubleshooting I am at the end of my rope and looking for some next steps.
The BSOD or freezing only occurs when my computer is "idling" (eg: Once booted, I can work, play games, etc) but if I leave the computer for 30min+ or overnight, I return to the BSOD or a completely frozen screen.

Google Drive: BSODs & Freezing (Win 11)
  • I have a few minidump files, screenshots, and more that can be reviewed in the above Google Drive folder
When the computer is stuck on the Bluescreen or frozen, I can usually reboot into Win11 but sometimes the Asus boot up screen freezes after posting (See "StuckAsusBootup.jpg" in Google Drive Folder).
Stop code: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Specs (Computer & Components are 1.5 years old):
Can view on PC Part Picker
  • MB: Asus ROG Strix B550f Gaming
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
  • GPU: Asus Tuf 3080
  • RAM: x2 16GB Corsair Vengeance (3200mhz)
  • PSU: Corsair AX 1000w 80+ Titanium
  • Drive: Western Digital 1TB M.2
Troubleshooting Completed:
  • Reviewed MiniDump files with 'BlueScreenView' (See "BlueScreenView.png" in Google Drive Folder)
    • ntoskrnl.exe+2db44f
  • Uninstalled and Reinstalled Nvidia Drivers (Used Custom Install not Express Install)
  • Win11 Updates
  • Reset RAM frequency from 3200mhz to "auto" in the BIOS
  • Reset BIOS to factory settings
  • Flashed BIOS with latest (non-beta) version from Asus website
  • Updated MB Chipset Drivers from the Asus website
  • Ran "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" commands
  • Booted into Safe Mode (w/ Networking) and confirmed that the computer was stable (no bluescreens or freezing after letting it site idle for 8+ hours)
  • Tried installing Windows 10 & 11 onto a spare M.2 drive (same freezing issues)
  • Pulled the trigger and clean installed Windows 11 (same freezing issues occurred and it would sometimes freeze during the Win11 OOBE setup)
  • Removed and reset CMOS battery
Key Notes:
  • No freezing or BSODs while booted into safe mode
  • The freezing & BSODs were much less frequent after uninstalling the GPU driver
    • Eg: The BSOD & freezing issue at first was happening 2 times a week, then every other day, then daily, and then any time I left my computer for more than an 30min/hour. (Multiple computer freezes during each boot up (could never get to the login screen)). Once I full uninstalled the GPU drivers, I could reliably login to Windows
  • I can always get into the BIOS, but sometimes (this morning) after a BSOD, the computer freezes on the Asus start up screen
  • Enabled "AMD fTPM" in the BIOS
  • I believe it is:
    • NOT a hardware issue since I could boot into safe mode and stably run
    • POTENTIALLY GPU driver related since once removing the driver the computer would experience significantly less freezes and Bluescreens
    • NOT a Win11 issue since I fully reinstalled Win11 (however I could be mistaken)
(I will add more details as I remember or if there are any questions)

Next Steps:
  • I borrowed a spare PC from a buddy to try some hardware swaps to try to determine the specific piece that may be causing me issues.
  • Hopefully one of you fine people are a bit more experienced with MiniDump files and can point me in the right direction :D
maybe try follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 24 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), enable XMP (also set RttNom to 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr to 3 (or 80ohm), and RttPark to 1~3 (or 240~80ohm) for stability using 4x8gb or 2X16gb Dual Ranked/2Rx8), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot. after that check in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > AMD Chipset Software and see if its already ver 4.03.03 that's installed. The Asus one listed the old drivers, so better try to use the latest ones.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Jun 7, 2022
maybe try follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 24 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), enable XMP (also set RttNom to 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr to 3 (or 80ohm), and RttPark to 1~3 (or 240~80ohm) for stability using 4x8gb or 2X16gb Dual Ranked/2Rx8), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot. after that check in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > AMD Chipset Software and see if its already ver 4.03.03 that's installed. The Asus one listed the old drivers, so better try to use the latest ones.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Thanks for you comments and steps! I have complete them (see below for steps taken):

June 7th, 2022 (~2100hrs)
  1. Disconnected from internet (unplugged ethernet)
  2. Used DDU to uninstall all GPU Drivers (Nvidia, AMD, and Intel) Wasn't sure if I needed to do AMD and Intel since my card is Nvidia)
  3. Uninstalled all 24 'AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12-Core Processor' from Device Manager
  4. No "AMD Chipset" software in Control Panel to uninstall
  5. Restarted to BIOS and disabled "AMD fTPM switch" and "Secure Boot". Flashes latest BIOS (linked above) using Asus EZ Flash 3 within the BIOS
  6. Loaded default settings in BIOS > Disabled CSM > Enabled Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option. Enabled XMP and set other specifics (set RttNom to 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr to 3 (or 80ohm), and RttPark to 1~3 (or 240~80ohm) for stability using 4x8gb or 2X16gb Dual Ranked/2Rx8). Saved and Exit
  7. Installed latest Chipset driver and rebooted (confirmed version 4.03.03 in Programs & Features)
  8. Installed latest Nvidia drivers. Just the drivers (not GeForce). Used express installation as we uninstalled all GPU drivers with DDU
  9. Connected ethernet to PC
  10. Ran ChkDsk scan
    1. After the ChkDsk scan the PC ran "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen but then froze on that screen.
    2. Had to hard power off PC to attempt a boot into Windows. Froze after the post screen (first reboot).
    3. Hard powered off 2nd time, booted past BIOS prompt into "Preparing Automatic Repair" and froze again
    4. Hard powered off 3rd time and booted past BIOS, saw screen that said "Repairing C: Drive 100%" then it booted into Windows 11
  11. Ran sfc /scannow (No Errors)
  12. Confirmed PSU is connected through 2 individual cables
I will leave my computer on (locked) tonight and confirm if it is frozen or BlueScreened in the morning.

Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thank you,
==============================================
UPDATE
June 8th, 2022 (~630hrs)
Woke up to my computer not frozen and not BlueScreened! I will monitor through the day and update if any more BSODs happen or freezing.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Koekieezz
Thanks for you comments and steps! I have complete them (see below for steps taken):
  1. Disconnected from internet (unplugged ethernet)
  2. Used DDU to uninstall all GPU Drivers (Nvidia, AMD, and Intel) Wasn't sure if I needed to do AMD and Intel since my card is Nvidia)
  3. Uninstalled all 24 'AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12-Core Processor' from Device Manager
  4. No "AMD Chipset" software in Control Panel to uninstall
  5. Restarted to BIOS and disabled "AMD fTPM switch" and "Secure Boot". Flashes latest BIOS (linked above) using Asus EZ Flash 3 within the BIOS
  6. Loaded default settings in BIOS > Disabled CSM > Enabled Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option. Enabled XMP and set other specifics (set RttNom to 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr to 3 (or 80ohm), and RttPark to 1~3 (or 240~80ohm) for stability using 4x8gb or 2X16gb Dual Ranked/2Rx8). Saved and Exit
  7. Installed latest Chipset driver and rebooted (confirmed version 4.03.03 in Programs & Features)
  8. Installed latest Nvidia drivers. Just the drivers (not GeForce). Used express installation as we uninstalled all GPU drivers with DDU
  9. Connected ethernet to PC
  10. Ran ChkDsk scan
10.1 After the ChkDsk scan the PC ran "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen but then froze on that screen.
10.2 Had to hard power off PC to attempt a boot into Windows. Froze after the post screen (first reboot).
10.3 Hard powered off 2nd time, booted past BIOS prompt into "Preparing Automatic Repair" and froze again
10.4 Hard powered off 3rd time and booted past BIOS, saw screen that said "Repairing C: Drive 100%" then it booted into Windows 11
  1. Ran sfc /scannow (No Errors)
  2. Confirmed PSU is connected through 2 individual cables
I will leave my computer on (locked) tonight and confirm if it is frozen or BlueScreened in the morning.

Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thank you,
try to chkdsk again on C: drive, then the others.

if it froze then the storage is the first suspect.

For RTT, the usual standard is RZQ (240) divided by the number, hence 7 means RZQ/7 = 34, 3 means RZQ/3 = 80, and etc.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022
try to chkdsk again on C: drive, then the others.

if it froze then the storage is the first suspect.

For RTT, the usual standard is RZQ (240) divided by the number, hence 7 means RZQ/7 = 34, 3 means RZQ/3 = 80, and etc.

Got it - I will run the ChkDsk on the C:\ again once I get home and confirm the outcome.

I have not done any RTT changes before but I believe I configured them correctly based on your first post. (See below or this Google Drive Link "Updated BIOS Settings.jpg")
RttNom [Auto]->[RZQ/7]
RttWr [Auto]->[RZQ/3]
RttPark [Auto]->[RZQ/1]

Also, I did not have XMP in my BIOS. Is DOCP the equivalent for AMD?

Thank you,

Got it - I will run the ChkDsk on the C:\ again once I get home and confirm the outcome.

I have not done any RTT changes before but I believe I configured them correctly based on your first post. (See below or this Google Drive Link "Updated BIOS Settings.jpg")
RttNom [Auto]->[RZQ/7]
RttWr [Auto]->[RZQ/3]
RttPark [Auto]->[RZQ/1]

Also, I did not have XMP in my BIOS. Is DOCP the equivalent for AMD?

Thank you,
ah yes sorry it is DOCP on asus. also yes correct, RZQ is good enough, but you should only set it if its a Dual ranked module or 4x Single rank module. try to determine the ver. of your sticks, its on the ram stick label.

Jun 7, 2022
ah yes sorry it is DOCP on asus. also yes correct, RZQ is good enough, but you should only set it if its a Dual ranked module or 4x Single rank module. try to determine the ver. of your sticks, its on the ram stick label.

Running the ChkDsk on my C:\ was successful this time.
Confirmed my RAM is Dual Ranked.
Computer Bluescreened during my commute home today (BSOD file is on the Google Drive Reddit: DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSOD & Freezing | Win11 - Google Drive under "060822-9343-01.dmp")

Let me know if you can think of anything I should try next :) Thanks!

Jun 7, 2022
BSOD means something is unstable.. check error codes windows will have a history of them.

Thanks Jarrett,

Do you have any more details asides from "Error Codes"? Are you referring to the codes in Event Viewer? If so, yea I am doing my best to analyze them as my computer has issues but they have been a bit difficult to stay ontop of.

Let me know if you have any recommendation on what to be looking for. Thank you