Question DPC_Watchdog_Violation, Clean Install, Happens During Windows Updates, HELP!

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014
Alright guys, it's been a while since I had to step up and ask for help but here I am. I have a customer's laptop on my desk and I'm about to pull my hair out, quit my job and start a career as a worm farmer in Canada.

I am working with a Toshiba Satellite P55W-C5200X that originally came with Windows 10. This laptop came in because it would stutter, lock up, start working properly for a little bit and then Blue Screen giving the error message "DPC_Watchdog_Violation" with no error code.

I've booted it into safe mode and it works fine, which tells me it is either a driver (which is common for this code) or a service that is hinging. I've tried most of my normal fixes, and even went to load Win 10 fresh on a brand new Crucial MX500 SSD. After the first batch of updates it does the exact same thing. I installed no other programs, just loaded windows and went straight into updates. Same thing.

I have also tried loading windows, installing drivers straight from Toshiba, and then updates, same thing. I even tried Snappy Driver (despite my disdain for 3rd part driver apps) to fetch the latest versions of drivers before running updates. Same thing.

I also tried two DDDR3L 4GB memory dimms just in case. Same thing.

At this point I have sank way more time than I can charge for, but now it has become a matter of stubbornness. So thus, I reach out to my Tom's friends for help. Any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated, thank you for your time!

[mod edit - spacing added]

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
We could look at dump files

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Does laptop have latest bios?

laptop website - https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=ZF031585S&osId=31 (this is more for me)

Is the win 10 installer new?