DRAM and CPU debug LEDs, PC won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrygreen123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I really need help with this one guys, and before any one asks, yes I have read every relevant post on here already, it's driving me crazy!

I've just built my younger brothers first PC, here are the specs:

Mobo: h110m Pro-d
CPU: i5 6600k
RAM: HyperX 2133MHz DDR4

(Rest aren't relavent but: GTX 1060 6GB, cooler master evo 212 x, 550W 80+ psu, 1TB HDD)

I finished everything but now it's stuck on a loop of a long flash of the DRAM debug led and a short flash of the CPU debug led.. and there aren't any beeps from the mobo speaker.

I've tried known working RAM and still the same problem, also tried no RAM which gives a continuous beep from the mobo speaker. I've also tried every stick of ram in each slot separately.

I've tried powering on with JUST the cpu, cpu fan, RAM and psu - still the same problem.

I've tried clearing CMOS and no luck.

I've even (twice) looked for bent CPU pins which were all good.

During all of the above, I've had no GPU installed so that's not the problem.

I'm thinking about giving up now, please can someone help me with this?

Thanks so much in advance!
Harry

Solution
I've solved it but thanks for everyone's help!
Here's the problem if anyone is interested:

Some how there was a motherboard short caused by the CPU cooler back plate (AND mounting screws). The back plate alone did not cause the short, and the mounting screws alone did not cause it either, only once the back plate was installed WITH the mounting screws from the front did a short occur.
I solved the problem by covering every suspect area with electrical tape and a lot of trial and error.
THANK GOD IT WASN'T THE CPU!

Thanks again for everyone's help, and good luck to anyone viewing this forum in the future.

harrygreen123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

I'm hoping it's just a board issue and I'll just get that replaced, the RAM is definitely fully seated and I have removed and replaced it over 10 times.
My plan tomorrow is to try it all again outside the case, I will let you know how it goes

harrygreen123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
CPU_LED flashes and goes off - CPU is okay.
Then RAM_LED goes on and stays lit - you have RAM problem. Assuming you know how to put it properly, it leaves only options that RAM is malfunctioning or mobo RAM slots are malfunctioning.

Well, the RAM light is going off, it's just staying on longer than the CPU. I've used the RAM sticks out of my (working) PC so the problem is not with the RAM, but the slots is an interesting idea.
I think the best way to go at the moment is a replacement motherboard..

harrygreen123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
If RAM goes off, then it's not RAM-related problem. Next LED is GPU, right? But you put no GPU, so that's skipped. Next, LED for Boot device. Did you connected and drive?

There are only two LEDs that come on, the DRAM and CPU flash alternatively. DRAM long flash and CPU short flash - this repeats

harrygreen123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I suggest taking the board outside the case, removing the CPU, posting here a picture of the CPU socket and we can start from there.

I'm using my phone so can't upload a photo at the moment, but I have checked the CPU socket (twice) and it's absolutely free from imperfections. This is why I'm so confused.
I'm going to breadboard the mobo, CPU and ram outside the case this evening and will post the results

harrygreen123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Some how there was a motherboard short caused by the CPU cooler back plate (AND mounting screws). The back plate alone did not cause the short, and the mounting screws alone did not cause it either, only once the back plate was installed WITH the mounting screws from the front did a short occur.
I solved the problem by covering every suspect area with electrical tape and a lot of trial and error.

Thanks again for everyone's help, and good luck to anyone viewing this forum in the future.

Solution

l.tastsoglou

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
hello guys! new to toms hardaware,i have the same issue i already had a 4gb 2400 ddr4 crucial dimm my pc works fine with it my mobo is MSI H110M PRO VH and CPU INTEL G4560.But today i bought another dimm same model and put it in,my mobo does the same it flashes between dram and cpu leds
i tried the new dimm in all slots alone nothing happened,and the previous dimm in all slots it works fine ,so whats the problem here?

Mixing sticks not bought as a kit can give such results. Reset CMOS, if that won't help you are just out of luck with those sticks - if it even will not boot to BIOS when both sticks are installed then nothing can be done.

l.tastsoglou

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018

ohh thats really bad for me,so is that simple as that? it might can be only this problem? and if i reset cmos ,its gonna take it to the manufactor settings? because i had update my bios for intel g4560 to work with this mobo ,if i reset it the cpu would work? also how can the new dimm alone dont work either,im so confused

No, resetting CMOS is not going to wipe BIOS updates, so you're good there.
Sorry, I thought the new stick did work alone. If it does not work when used alone, then there are only two explanations: either it is not compatible with your motherboard or it's faulty.

Mar 7, 2020

Thanks so much!
I was facing the exact same problem and solved it with a plastic screw washer, so the screws would not touch the motherboard directly.

Reactions: insanity0805
Status
Not open for further replies.