Question DRAM and CPU lights flashing.

Jul 5, 2024
I've had a PC working PC for months and decided today that I wanted to do some cable management in the case. After I put everything back together the PC wouldn't POST and the DRAM and CPU lights flash back and fourth. I did take off the heat sink and take out the CPU when I was moving cables around so I'm assuming that is where the problem is coming from.
I tried booting up with my ram sticks individually and that didn't work.​
Is my CPU broken??! What else can I do?​

Jul 5, 2024
I took everything apart and tried to fix as many pins as possible and now when I boot up only the DRAM light is on. What does this mean??
Im also not sure if I really accomplished anything when trying to fix the pins.​

"Fixing" bent pins on a motherboard is something that RARELY works. It's generally worth it to try it because what do you have to lose, but I'd say maybe one in fifty cases actually results in it being "fixed". You bend pins on the motherboard, you almost always have to replace the board. Bent pins on a CPU however are often a little more commonly fixable so long as the pin hasn't broken off below the visible substrate. My bet is, you need a new board. And the only time I'd remove a CPU just to change the paste would be if somebody had made a complete mess of it before it landed on my bench, or if I was changing to a different board or CPU.

TRENDING THREADS