Dram Configuration in Bios

hvillanueva

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I built the following system and have updated bios to latest version F4.

I have uploaded latest hardware drivers using driver detective

I have also updated all the software updates for windows vista ultimate

Computer freezes after 15 minutes of use

Ran Orthos the slt test stop at 4 or 5 seconds

The mix stops at 15 minutes

The larger test runs for a couple hours and then I will stop it.

Windows Memory Diagnostics and Memtest show no issues with the memory sticks

I have configured bios to 1.6 volts with 9-9-9-24 could you recommend bios settings for the ram that would offer more stability than I am currently getting. Thanks in advance

Motherboard

GAEP45T-DS3R

Processor

Intel Conrad Dual Core 1.86

Memory

Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 PC 10666 1333 MHZ 2 1 gig sticks

Video Card # 1

Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT

Hard Drive # 1

Internal 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB Cache

Optical Drive # 1

Sony DVD RW DRU-865 SATA Device

Case

Cooler Master CM690

Power Supply

550 Watt Cool Master

Sound Card

Realtek ALC889A codec

Monitor

View Sonic Ultra Brite A71f+

Operating System

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Is it this RAM?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145183

Here are a few very small utilities to have:
CPU-Z
Real Temp
HWMonitor

Run CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab. Find the "667" category (should be the maximum one) and look at the settings. The voltage will probably say 1.8V or some such. Duplicate those settings in your BIOS.

Why in the world would you have a Celeron and DDR3?

Be aware also that many Seagate drives have had serious issues lately. Not that I think that's your immediate problem. I think you are under-volted.

hvillanueva

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009

I didn't realize this was a celeron processor. One of the things I will certainly be doing is replacing the processor.

This is the ram that you specified in the above link.

I will go ahead and download the utility mentioned and post the results back. Thanks very much for the information.

hvillanueva

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009

Thanks Proxim. When I ran CPU-Z the small slt test kept stopping after 3 or 4 seconds. The conroe processor was the issue. I replaced it with an Intel E8500 3 ghz processor and the system is running great. I ran the intel burn test and there appeared to be no issues with the cpu. I wonder if the issues are related to an underperforming cpu. I adjusted the Ram as specified with the SPD tab and it kept freezing with the 1.86 ghz dual core conroe processor. Once it was replaced with the other processor everything worked beautifully.

On further research I'm not sure what processor you had. The information you gave me fits 3 different processors, only one of which isn't technically supported by the board.

A "Conroe dual core" running at 1.86Ghz could be an E6300, which I would expect to work unless it was defective or overheating.