Question Dram light on, no display. Swapped ram, swapped motherboard, nothing. What now?

Dec 16, 2022
Hey everyone. So about 3-4 months ago I built a new PC. Everything worked great and had no issues. Just a few days ago, however, my screen went black and it shut off while I was using it. Once it booted back up the yellow dram led had lit up, with nothing coming to the display. Everything still lights up inside, including the rgb ram itself. Since then, I've tried a number of solutions but the issue has remained the same. I've tried:
  1. Reseating the ram, cleaning the ram slots
  2. Moving the ram to different slots, using only 1 stick in various slots, etc.
  3. Swapping out the ram with working ram
  4. Taking out the CMOS battery to clear BIOS
  5. Trying to run it without the graphics card

Eventually I determined that the problem must be the motherboard, so I replaced it with one of the same model since it worked in the past, and I knew it would be compatible with the build. I swapped over all the components, which all appeared fine at a glance, but even on a new motherboard the problem persisted.

My question is this: Where do I go from here? I don't have a spare CPU or PSU to try out without buying a brand new one, which I wouldn't want to do unless I have a reason to believe it's the problem. I'm honestly stumped.

Specs:
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR 4
Both MBs: ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus Wifi D4
GPU: Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
CPU: Intel i7-12700K
PSU: Gigabyte 850W Gold (UD850GM)

Hey everyone. So about 3-4 months ago I built a new PC. Everything worked great and had no issues. Just a few days ago, however, my screen went black and it shut off while I was using it. Once it booted back up the yellow dram led had lit up, with nothing coming to the display. Everything still lights up inside, including the rgb ram itself. Since then, I've tried a number of solutions but the issue has remained the same. I've tried:
  1. Reseating the ram, cleaning the ram slots
  2. Moving the ram to different slots, using only 1 stick in various slots, etc.
  3. Swapping out the ram with working ram
  4. Taking out the CMOS battery to clear BIOS
  5. Trying to run it without the graphics card
Eventually I determined that the problem must be the motherboard, so I replaced it with one of the same model since it worked in the past, and I knew it would be compatible with the build. I swapped over all the components, which all appeared fine at a glance, but even on a new motherboard the problem persisted.

My question is this: Where do I go from here? I don't have a spare CPU or PSU to try out without buying a brand new one, which I wouldn't want to do unless I have a reason to believe it's the problem. I'm honestly stumped.

Specs:
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR 4
Both MBs: ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus Wifi D4
GPU: Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
CPU: Intel i7-12700K
PSU: Gigabyte 850W Gold (UD850GM)
Make it smaller.

Use one stick of ram.
Remove the gpu and connect the monitor to the mobo.
Unplug all disk.

Dec 16, 2022
Alright, I've reduced it down further. Only one stick of ram, removed gpu, connected monitor directly to mobo, disks unplugged. I also swapped out the display cable as the first response suggested. Unfortunately the problem remains.

I should also clarify my problem as my initial post was a bit imprecise in the wording. It was my entire pc that shut down initially not just the monitor, and I don't suspect anything is wrong with my display. The main issue seems to be the yellow dram light.

Alright, I've reduced it down further. Only one stick of ram, removed gpu, connected monitor directly to mobo, disks unplugged. I also swapped out the display cable as the first response suggested. Unfortunately the problem remains.

I should also clarify my problem as my initial post was a bit imprecise in the wording. It was my entire pc that shut down initially not just the monitor, and I don't suspect anything is wrong with my display. The main issue seems to be the yellow dram light.
Make it smaller.

Unplug the monitor.

Dec 16, 2022
Make it smaller.

Move the mobo out of the case and onto a piece of cardboard.
I've taken the mobo out of the case as you said. Still the same. At this point the only things remaining in the build are the psu, mobo, cpu, and 1 stick of ram. Since the ram and mobo have been swapped and the problem continues, I have to assume one of either the psu or the cpu is the problem right?

I've taken the mobo out of the case as you said. Still the same. At this point the only things remaining in the build are the psu, mobo, cpu, and 1 stick of ram. Since the ram and mobo have been swapped and the problem continues, I have to assume one of either the psu or the cpu is the problem right?
It would seem so.

Perhaps remove the cpu and check it and the socket for damage.