[SOLVED] DRAM light stuck on, no video

Feb 28, 2020
So I just installed a new cpu, mobo, and water cooler. The computer booted fine the first time I booted, I installed chipset drivers and then installed SATA drivers and they needed a restart so I did. The computer turned on, the cpu light flashed, then went to DRAM, back to CPU and shut off. It then turns back on, goes to DRAM and stays there until I cut power. I tried taking the RAM out one at a time but no dice. Unplugged CPU power cable to see if the mobo was broken and it detects that the cpu mobo power is unconnected just fine.

Whats also kinda weird is that after I started rebooting the computer, two times it stayed with a CPU light on and the fans whirred fast then shut off but it stopped doing that after those two times.

SPECS
Z490-a PRO MSI Motherboard
I5-10600K
2070 Super
16GB DDR4 RAM

Solution
I honestly don’t know the P/N, I dont Think I can run memtest since I get no video. So how am I supposed to get to the bios to boot from flash drive?

The P/N is branded on the Box and on the DIMMs
You don't get any video output because you can't pass POST.
Assuming the monitor is functional and cabling is good you run Memtest86 by booting from the USB with memtest86 on it. All you need to do is ensure priority in Bios is for the USB. You will have a function key F11 so spam that during post that will bring up the Boot menu to choose the USB to boot from.

Here is a vid to watch on how to use. :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_xFNojChNA
So I just installed a new cpu, mobo, and water cooler. The computer booted fine the first time I booted, I installed chipset drivers and then installed SATA drivers and they needed a restart so I did. The computer turned on, the cpu light flashed, then went to DRAM, back to CPU and shut off. It then turns back on, goes to DRAM and stays there until I cut power. I tried taking the RAM out one at a time but no dice. Unplugged CPU power cable to see if the mobo was broken and it detects that the cpu mobo power is unconnected just fine.

Whats also kinda weird is that after I started rebooting the computer, two times it stayed with a CPU light on and the fans whirred fast then shut off but it stopped doing that after those two times.

SPECS
Z490-a PRO MSI Motherboard
I5-10600K
2070 Super
16GB DDR4 RAM
Please list the P/N of your RAM?
Check that the modules are firmly in place. in the correct slots and run Memtest86 from a USB.
The DRAM_LED staying on indicates a problem with RAM.

Feb 28, 2020
Please list the P/N of your RAM?
Check that the modules are firmly in place. in the correct slots and run Memtest86 from a USB.
The DRAM_LED staying on indicates a problem with RAM.

I honestly don’t know the P/N, I dont Think I can run memtest since I get no video. So how am I supposed to get to the bios to boot from flash drive?

Assuming the monitor is functional and cabling is good you run Memtest86 by booting from the USB with memtest86 on it. All you need to do is ensure priority in Bios is for the USB. You will have a function key F11 so spam that during post that will bring up the Boot menu to choose the USB to boot from.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 28, 2020

Well, like I said I couldn’t get video and never did using f11. I reset the cmos by shorting the pins and got into bios, doing memtest now.