DRAM_LED light on ASUS P8Z68V Pro Motherboard, PC Turns off on boot

polan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hey,

My PC recently started messing up, and it started off with just being a BSOD once or twice, but after that my DRAM_LED on my ASUS P8Z68V Pro motherboard was always on after turning on the PC and then the PC would turn off after a few seconds, although sometimes it instantly reboots without turning off again with the light always being on as well.

During all of this time there is no video output. This build has always worked and is 3 years old except for the GTX 780 I have. Firstly, I have pretty much ruled out the issue being my dual channel Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) memory, as I was able to test it in another PC with 9 passes and 0 errors in Memtest86 (since I'm unable to test it in this one), and this PC still had the DRAM_LED on with different RAM. I also tested it in all the slots, with both pairs of RAM from the other PC and this PC being tested in both dual and single channel modes in each of the 4 slots. It was not my graphics card causing there to be no video output as well, as I unplugged that and tested the on-board graphics that came with my Intel i7 2600k CPU (at stock speeds at the moment) and there was no output there either.

The weirdest part of this though is that once in a while the PC booted up perfectly into Windows 7 with video output and I was able to do everything as usual, but after that it went back to the same old DRAM_LED issue. When it did go in I was able to see that both the motherboard and CPU temperatures were perfectly fine at around 20-30C (68-86F) so it wasn't anything overheating. I haven't gotten around to testing another PSU yet. Could it possibly be the PSU (AX850) or motherboard being the problem in this case?

Solution
Hi,
Hard to say what's wrong, but... as troubleshooting, reinstalling the CPU, inspecting the socket for bent pins and re-seating the CPU heatsink (taking care to not overtighten) would be my first step.