Question Driver issues with Radeon WX 3200 Pro - can't output 4K ?

Apr 4, 2022
So I recently built my mom a new desktop machine. Everything up through the initial Windows install went smoothly... then I ran Windows Update, which installed some display drivers from AMD (for the WX 3200 Pro GPU) and instantly crushed the display resolution from a working full 4K to [redacted] 1080p, with no option to change it back anywhere.

At this point I've repeatedly clean-reinstalled multiple versions of the Radeon Pro drivers, searched through the Windows/Radeon control panels and Google fruitlessly (changing refresh rate and color output as suggested by some old posts on here did nothing), tried multiple different cables and inputs, all to no avail. Not even uninstalling the drivers in an attempt to get back to whatever vanilla stuff came with the Win10 install worked - it just stuck me with a 640x480 output.

If anyone has any pointers on how I could debug/fix this, then that would be greatly appreciated :p

I'm starting to remember why I ditched Windows on my own machine... lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

then I ran Windows Update, which installed some display drivers from AMD
That's where you went wrong. You're advised to manually source all relevant drivers for your platform from their respective support sites and once you've installed the OS, disconnect from the www and then manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

By clean installed drivers, did you use DDU to wipe all traces of your GPU drivers on the platform? As a side note, what OS version are you on for Windows 10? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Apr 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

then I ran Windows Update, which installed some display drivers from AMD
That's where you went wrong. You're advised to manually source all relevant drivers for your platform from their respective support sites and once you've installed the OS, disconnect from the www and then manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

By clean installed drivers, did you use DDU to wipe all traces of your GPU drivers on the platform? As a side note, what OS version are you on for Windows 10? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Hiya!

I had already tried the official Radeon drivers w/ DDU as the next step, including the most recent ones and then also some random backdated version from 2020. Windows 10 should be up to the latest version; as for the BIOS, I'm not entirely sure (not at the machine right now) but it's probably a few versions behind due to being in inventory or whatever. It's a MAG B550M Mortar, if that helps.