Driver Power State Failure when disconnecting USB storage devices

VirgilDSG

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
After installing windows 8 whenever I use a pendrive/external hdd/memory cards and disconnect it from my pc either my pc freezes or I cant shutdown/restart.
If I restart after few mins it says DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE in blue screen. Therefore I searched the web and tom's site too, found a lot of thread with this 'driver power state failure' but none are caused by removing usb storage devices.

It doesn't occurs if I connect my phone,printer etc.
My Mini-dumb file - https://www.mediafire.com/?8ew6da45iwkihio

Solution
it means the the usb port driver did not correctly detect that the device was removed. later the power management system told the drive to go to sleep and the drive did not respond (because it was not there)

you will need to look for updated usb drivers or use a program to safely "eject" the drive before you remove it.
Sometimes it will be the hub that fails to correctly respond. in that case you might try to connect the device to another USB controller on your machine. I would also think you might have a BIOS setting that could help you out, depends on the machine though. some BIOS may have a hotswap setting set to off, this tells the system that the device will never be removed and the driver can always assume it is there...
it means the the usb port driver did not correctly detect that the device was removed. later the power management system told the drive to go to sleep and the drive did not respond (because it was not there)

you will need to look for updated usb drivers or use a program to safely "eject" the drive before you remove it.
Sometimes it will be the hub that fails to correctly respond. in that case you might try to connect the device to another USB controller on your machine. I would also think you might have a BIOS setting that could help you out, depends on the machine though. some BIOS may have a hotswap setting set to off, this tells the system that the device will never be removed and the driver can always assume it is there.

you can work around the issue by turning off the low power management setting in control panel. tell the system not to put your USB devices or the particular device to sleep.

Solution