Discussion Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences?

Apr 7, 2020
Hello everybody,

what is your experience with driver updates via windows updates?
My question mainly concerns devices from family and friends - devices that you install once and only then see again when there are problems.
Already the idea "driver updates"... from Win 3.1 until now (up to Win10) I only updated drivers if there were problems.
But well, thanks to the now short life cycle, nothing is as it was. :censored:

As someone who actually goes by the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", I am horrified to get new drivers every few weeks.

I just see the following advantages:

• It is easier for the user to install new hardware.
  • Feature updates may not be installed with old drivers or cause problems.

At least the first one is fixable by allowing driver updates via the device-manager.

What is your experience with it?

Thanks and greetings,
Martin

device manager pretty much wont offer you anything
it does only if u updating your windows and there are some major kernel changes which requires new drivers, in that case microsoft provides "basic" drivers which u shouldnt have any issues with
if you are signed to insider program, u will also be receiving beta drivers which will GSOD (green screen of death) almost anytime

soo as far as stibility goes, ms provided (normal non beta drivers) should work just fine
but since its bacis drivers, it wont give u the "best" pc performance or capabilities you hardware offers
so a soundcard, chipset, gpu, network (or any other uncommon peripherals like 20 button mouse) may need its own drivers provided by either OEM or by manufacturer to enable missing features which basic drivers doesnt offer

Colif

Win 11 Master
You don't get drivers every few weeks. Microsoft only updates a driver via windows update if the maker supplies them with new signed versions. So far, most makers aren't that eager.

The latest drivers from Nvidia, on windows update catalog, are from 2019 still. That is just an example but as having latest Nvidia drivers isn't always the best idea, that is also a good thing.

I am the same, I only suggest updating drivers if you are having problems or its brand new hardware where the new drivers can add benefits. Same applies to BIOS (just as well thats not included in most driver updates unless you have a Dell or HP.)