Question DSL Connection Issues

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
I have Verizon DSL. I also have a 3 month old Actiontec GT784WNV modem. When it is connected I get between 6 and 7 Mbps which is fine. The problem I am having is I get disconnected many times throughout the day. I have recently done a few things on my end to help this. First I ran a shielded cat 5 twisted pair cable directly from the modem to the Verizon NID in the garage. Next I put ferrit chokes on all the power cables associated with my network. This has improved things but I still get disconnected. When checking the gateway status of the modem is says I have a SNR downstream of 8 db and upstream of 9 db. everything I read says anything below 10 SNR will cause problems. All other parameters seem to be within acceptable limits. Verizon says they have tested their lines and equipment and everything checks out. I'm not looking for more speed but I am looking to be able to stream Netflix or Hulu without going into the other room and re setting the modem a few times during the program.

9 times out of 10 issues like this are the result of issues with the phone line. The 2 big issues are distance and interference (noise) and there’s not much you can do about either. If distance is the issue, you’re pretty much stuck with what you’ve got. Using a different provider (cable?) might be the only solution. If noise is the issue, then you will have to convince Verizon to fix it. Do you also use the phone line for telephone service? It might be easier to get this resolved if you tell them you hear of static from time to time on the phone rather than intermittent internet issues.

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
9 times out of 10 issues like this are the result of issues with the phone line. The 2 big issues are distance and interference (noise) and there’s not much you can do about either. If distance is the issue, you’re pretty much stuck with what you’ve got. Using a different provider (cable?) might be the only solution. If noise is the issue, then you will have to convince Verizon to fix it. Do you also use the phone line for telephone service? It might be easier to get this resolved if you tell them you hear of static from time to time on the phone rather than intermittent internet issues.
Thanks. I always knew about distance in regards to speed with DSL. I am lucky enough to be only about 1 mile from the switch so I can get close to 7 mbps. I was also aware of the noise issue which is why I put in the interior shielded direct cable and ferret blocks to try to diminish that as much as possible on my end. Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice about providers so I'm stuck with Verizon DSL. Since I think I have done all I can with my equipment I will have to start in on Verizon tomorrow. Unfortunately for me I believe Verizon is more interested in their newer Fios business( they don't offer that here) then the old DSL. Getting them to spend money making that work correctly will be a challenge.

When u get disconnected, I want to know what the modem WAN light is doing. Normally it should be solidly lit, if it's blinking it means it has lost connection to ISP and is trying to re-establish. If it's dark, it means it has lost connection to ISP and gave up trying, or modem completely frozen (no lights are blinking).

Thanks. I always knew about distance in regards to speed with DSL. I am lucky enough to be only about 1 mile from the switch so I can get close to 7 mbps. I was also aware of the noise issue which is why I put in the interior shielded direct cable and ferret blocks to try to diminish that as much as possible on my end. Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice about providers so I'm stuck with Verizon DSL. Since I think I have done all I can with my equipment I will have to start in on Verizon tomorrow. Unfortunately for me I believe Verizon is more interested in their newer Fios business( they don't offer that here) then the old DSL. Getting them to spend money making that work correctly will be a challenge.

I expect you are right about Verizon giving up on DSL. I know a Verizon customer who canceled their DSL out of frustration and then 6 months later wanted to signup again and Verizon said they could not accommodate them.

You're right about SNR being under 10 is bad (unless that really is SNR margin). And I bet if you could get a tech to the house they would find the issue and correct it ... the hard part will be getting a tech to the house.

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
I actually had a tech guy come to the house. At that time I had the modem running off the old cat 3 lines in the house and he didn't say a thing. He checked the outside lines and told me he moved me to a different pair. It was through web searching I found out about the home run line using shielded twisted pair cat 5 and the ferret blocks on the power lines of the modem and switch I use. He was trying to convince me the modem was somehow maxing out on it's memory. I think he knew the problem was the years old copper lines Verizon has and knew they were not likely to spend the money to replace them. That ticks me off because years ago when they started running Fios in NJ they told me that it would definitely be in my area. Then they stopped their Fios expansion and now have no plans to go any further. We are left with their DSL and a company that has no interest in improving or even maintaining it to a working level. Although they try to convince you otherwise when you talk with them. I had to go downstairs and reset the modem just to finish typing this.

Last edited:

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
When u get disconnected, I want to know what the modem WAN light is doing. Normally it should be solidly lit, if it's blinking it means it has lost connection to ISP and is trying to re-establish. If it's dark, it means it has lost connection to ISP and gave up trying, or modem completely frozen (no lights are blinking).
I have the Actiontec GT784WNV modem. When it disconnects the top 2 lights, power and DSL are solid and the bottom light, internet is
blinking but in a minute or two turns off. When the modem is connected the top 2 are always solid and the bottom is always blinking. I have never seen that light solid. I had a D-Link before this one and a Actiontec before that. The DSL light always blinked on them as well. Verizon has told me that is normal.

Last edited:
I have the Actiontec GT784WNV modem. When it disconnects the top 2 lights, power and DSL are solid and the bottom light, internet is
blinking but in a minute or two turns off. When the modem is connected the top 2 are always solid and the bottom is always blinking. I have never seen that light solid. I had a D-Link before this one and a Actiontec before that. The DSL light always blinked on them as well. Verizon has told me that is normal.

The Internet light is blinking to indicate activity. I'm a bit surprised that the DSL light is on when you lose connectivity. Normally, the DSL light indicates connection to the central office. I would expect it to be red or something when you lose connection (I'm guessing because I could not find an owners manual for that modem).

Test something for me. The next time you lose connection, trying logging into your router and pull up status. If you are not able to connect to the router, then something else is going on. If do connect and status shows everything is fine, then we a strange issue. My expectation is that status will say disconnected.

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
The Internet light is blinking to indicate activity. I'm a bit surprised that the DSL light is on when you lose connectivity. Normally, the DSL light indicates connection to the central office. I would expect it to be red or something when you lose connection (I'm guessing because I could not find an owners manual for that modem).

Test something for me. The next time you lose connection, trying logging into your router and pull up status. If you are not able to connect to the router, then something else is going on. If do connect and status shows everything is fine, then we a strange issue. My expectation is that status will say disconnected.
I have been able to log into the router when it goes down. If I am upstairs I can log in and go to utilities and reboot the gateway from there. If I look at the status when I do this it says it is connecting. Doing this doesn't work as well as doing it at the modem because it just reboots without waiting the 30 seconds.

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
I have been able to log into the router when it goes down. If I am upstairs I can log in and go to utilities and reboot the gateway from there. If I look at the status when I do this it says it is connecting. Doing this doesn't work as well as doing it at the modem because it just reboots without waiting the 30 seconds.
The DSL light always stays on when it disconnects. Only the internet light goes out.

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
From everything I have read DSL modems are very sensitive to line noise for a stable connection. I have read that numbers under 10 db. are bad. That is why I suspect the low SNR numbers are causing the problem.

From everything I have read DSL modems are very sensitive to line noise for a stable connection. I have read that numbers under 10 db. are bad. That is why I suspect the low SNR numbers are causing the problem.

You are correct about the sensitivity to noise. The low signal to noise ratio is an indication that either your signal strength is low or your noise level is high (or both). Unfortunately only someone from Verizon can fix this.

Reactions: tae111

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
I am engaged in private messaging with Verizon about this issue today. They say they have tested their line and have found no significant issues. I have heard that some modems operate better with low SNR readings. The Modems Verizon offers are the Actiontec GT784WNV and the D-Link 2750B. Is there another modem I can purchase that will work with Verizon DSL that might be better at keeping a connection?