[SOLVED] DSL Internet: Insufficient Speed

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
I'm currently subscribed to 15 mbps internet speed plan but I'm not getting the desired speed. A so-called technician from the provider informed me that my area is not capable of 15mbps, only 10mbps. But I noticed I am able to reach 13-14 mbps but only at midnight.
Was he lying? I've been reporting intermittent issues as well since I experienced severe drops of speed like it can't even reach 1mbps.
Is is claims true? I'm finding it hard to believe it.

Solution
Could be a faulty splitter/filter or the cable end connected to it. Try another filter and cable when you get time, shouldn't cost much.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Dsl speeds vary, it depends how far the line travels to the exchange. Closer you are the better and also the wire condition in house is a factor. 1~4 kilometres to the exchange under good infrastructure conditions can usually see reasonable speeds. Longer than that then it's random and is whatever you can get.

The technician was close but being conservative not to get your hopes up.

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Dsl speeds vary, it depends how far the line travels to the exchange. Closer you are the better and also the wire condition in house is a factor. 1~4 kilometres to the exchange under good infrastructure conditions can usually see reasonable speeds. Longer than that then it's random and is whatever you can get.

The technician was close but being conservative not to get your hopes up.
On the router page, my Distance Measurement when I'm getting 8-10 mbps is around 1400m. When my speed drops to 1mbps I noticed it changes to 3000m. Also, my SNR values are always below 1, usually at 6-7.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Snr values are quite low. If it's not the cable to the exchange it could be the wiring in your home / filter or modem.

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-considered-good-dsl-noise-margin-snr-355

Leading up to good speeds late at night, could there be devices using the internet prior? Or if phone line is running along power cables (outer or inner wall), devices using power close by could be causing interferences.

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Snr values are quite low. If it's not the cable to the exchange it could be the wiring in your home / filter or modem.

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-considered-good-dsl-noise-margin-snr-355

Leading up to good speeds late at night, could there be devices using the internet prior? Or if phone line is running along power cables (outer or inner wall), devices using power close by could be causing interferences.

A month ago they replaced the copper wires inside my house. After they replaced it, the SNR went above 10 and so they were confident that it was the culprit. But after a couple of hours it started to drop again until it can't even reach 10 anymore. I could also see that there are CRC Errors on the router page.

I'm pretty sure no other devices are sucking up my bandwidth since I constantly monitor it. If there are many subscribers of the same ISP in my area, would that also be a possible cause?

Another thing that pisses me off is when the speed randomly drops to < 1mbps. It could even last a day or two. What probably is the reason for this?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could be anything. Things like weather conditions like rain water getting into pits if they use this method to run the cable. Or Technicians working somewhere up the line or stuffed something up. Could be dodgy connections in the cabling in your home if say in the roof, if job wasn't done properly heat could cause wire expansion. Could be rats chewing the wire.

If the technician says the connection is good up to your premises then can only take their word and assume it's something not right on your side.

Have you tried rebooting the router?

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Could be anything. Things like weather conditions like rain water getting into pits if they use this method to run the cable. Or Technicians working somewhere up the line or stuffed something up. Could be dodgy connections in the cabling in your home if say in the roof, if job wasn't done properly heat could cause wire expansion. Could be rats chewing the wire.

If the technician says the connection is good up to your premises then can only take their word and assume it's something not right on your side.

Have you tried rebooting the router?
Yes I have. I'm not sure if it's coincidence but I was having < 1mbps overnight. What I recently did was I unplugged the wire from the splitter and just plugged it back in. The speed restored to around 10mbps. I tried unplugging again and somehow got < 1 again. Did the same thing over again and it's back to more than 10 mbps again. I don't know it's feels like it was just coincidence.