DSL/LAN setup

kchen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I have 2 computers and one DSL modem, how can I set them up so that both computers can use the DSL connection (preferably at the same time, though not necessary) and also be able to run a local network? A friend told me that I need a router and switch, is this correct? How much would that kind of thing cost me? TIA.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you only get one IP with your provider, you'll need a switch/router. You can get a built-in router/switch device, such as the Linksys one. Just plug it in and go.

If you get 2 or more IPs, you can probably go with just a hub between the computers, with the cable coming from the DSL modem being plugged into the uplink port of the hub.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Do you have an internal or external DSL modem?

If you have an external, you can pick up a router with a built in hub for around $100.

I have a Netgear RT314, and it works great. It has a 4-port switch/hub and firewall built into it. I think the RT314 is going for around $130 these days.

Try this site for info about networking:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the NetGear router ($110.00 including shipping) and it was definitely worth it. It comes with 4 ports so you probably won't need a hub unless you want to hold a big LAN party. A router differs from a hub in that it costs more and because it sends packet information to a specific IP instead of broadcasting it to all IP's on the network. A hub basically just joins the computers on the network. A router also has other benefits such as firewall protection, some have a printer port, etc. I don't believe there's a difference b/w switch and router...

Connection looks like:

WAL-->Modem-->Router-->Computer 1
-->Computer 2
-->Computer 3 (etc...)
-->Printer (IF Router supports it)

--OR--

Internet-->Modem-->Router-->Computer 1
-->Computer 2
-->8 port HUB-->Computer 3
-->Computer 4
-->Computer 5 (etc...)
-->Printer (IF Router supports it)

Sheesh...hard to format....let me just explain:
Your internet connection goes to your modem.
Your modem connects to Router via RJ45 Ethernet cable.
All PC's connect to router (via RJ45) IF you buy one that has ports on it. Otherwise you will have to have a HUB to connect multiple PC's to the router. You do this by connecting the Router to the Hub w/ RJ45 cable and setting the port on the HUB to UPLINK (usually only 1 port is set up for uplink).

BTW, if you plan on running 100BaseT for the LAN, make sure you use CAT5 cabling.

Good luck.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

FatBurger

Illustrious
A router differs from a hub in that it costs more and because it sends packet information to a specific IP instead of broadcasting it to all IP's on the network.

Not quite right. You just described the difference between a hub and a switch, not a hub and a router.

A router also has other benefits such as firewall protection, some have a printer port, etc. I don't believe there's a difference b/w switch and router...

That's the difference between a switch and a router, the other benefits. A router in essence works as a network server (primitively, of course).

Also, hubs and switches work the same way in terms of how you use them, just as you described earlier, switches are more efficient and thus faster.

If you have a 5 port 100Mbit hub that's got 5 computers on it, then you suddenly have a 20Mbit network (40 if you're running full duplex). The bandwidth is shared, so the more computers you have on a hub, the worse the performance.
With a switch, everyone has a true 100Mbit connection.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's why your "Honorary Poster" and I'm still a member! ;)

So what's the difference b/w a router and a switch? (I'm still not clear on this) I've read other pages saying that they are essentially the same.

Thanks for the tech-food!

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 07/16/01 06:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nah, I'm an 'Honorary Poster' because I have a boring job.

Ok, a switch and a router, are completely different things. Most routers have a built-in switch however, which is where the confusion comes from.

A swtich is basically just a hub that uses packet addressing to give each packet only to the computer that it's being sent to, not to all of them. It has a small processor inside to do this. Therefore, a switch gives much better network speeds than a hub when you have more than two computers connected. If there's only two computers (or one? :) then it'd be the same speed.

Now, a router has DHCP (to automate networking settings), as well as usually a firewall and some other extras like you mentioned. It's basically a simple networking server in a box.

If you have a router that DOESN'T have a built-in switch (it would only have 1 or 2 ports, don't know which), then you would have to use an external hub or switch and use the uplink port to link to the router.

So, in summary:

A router is a basic network server.
A switch is an advanced hub.
Most routers have built in switches, so they can perform both functions.

Hope I explained it well enough.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink: