[SOLVED] Dual Boot Windows 10 - 2 installations - One stopped working?

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
Hello, I successfully installed the dual windows (each installation on separate drives) and have been using this for a month or so now without any issues.

Only the other day I tried to boot from one of the windows and I get the Windows repair blue screen.
I try to do the automatic repair and it fails showing the following:
photo-2019-09-30-19-40-08.jpg

I have no restore points.
I have tried doing the repair via windows usb installation but it seems to do the same thing.

Do you have any suggestions as I really need to get back into this windows? Many thanks,

Solution
Sorry what do you mean Windows Instance? I cannot access Windows at all. Just stuck on the blue screen , all repair options fail, including safe mode.
This might indicate that the drive with the first installed OS has gone south.
If you installed the second OS with both drives connected, you'd end up with one boot partition, on the first drive.
If that one has died (or is dying)....no boot for you, from either drive and OS.

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
@kerberos_20 There are two files found in this location with the same name SrtTrail.txt

Please see contents below -

FIRST FILE:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk =
Windows directory = D:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System disk test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 156 ms

Root cause found:
A hard disk could not be found. If a hard disk is installed, it is not responding.

SECOND FILE:

S y s t e m D i s k
ºG
ºG S y s t e m D i s k N o H a r d D r i v e WöÜÛwÕÄHrÛwÕ D : \ W i n d o w s \ \ ? \ G L O B A L R O O T \ D e v i c e \ H a r d d i s k V o l u m e 8 \ À¾/•%¿éšãß„³5_r ia ia C h e c k f o r u p d a t e s ia b S y s t e m d i s k t e s t

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
Please note, the hardrive does seem to be working... When I load the windows which is working, I can view the other drive in the drives and all the files are there and no issues.

However, when switching the drive to boot to this Windows, it shows the blue screen. I've tried all options for repairing this through windows and also many command prompts with no success. Any ideas people? This Windows which is causing problems contains server data and we need to get back into it.
Hope we can find a fix. Thanks!

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
@kerberos_20 What do you mean is that drive working? Both have Windows installed used as dual boot. One is working, one is not.

@SkyNetRising Sorry what do you mean Windows Instance? I cannot access Windows at all. Just stuck on the blue screen , all repair options fail, including safe mode.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry what do you mean Windows Instance? I cannot access Windows at all. Just stuck on the blue screen , all repair options fail, including safe mode.
If you installed the second OS with both drives connected, you'd end up with one boot partition, on the first drive.
If that one has died (or is dying)....no boot for you, from either drive and OS.

Solution

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
@USAFRet I installed windows on them with the other drive being removed each time.
It is a windows update that has caused this I believe...

@SkyNetRising I really don't think you understand that I cannot boot into windows with that drive.

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
@SkyNetRising Sorry delay feedback - I had seen this drive before in disk management and all looked fine, nothing wrong with the drive but the windows startup was bugged from a windows update.

Nevermind, I reformatted the drive and had my developer reinstall the stuff that was needed - costly mistake not to clone the drive. I will be looking to clone a backup this time. What software would you advise for this?

USAFRet

Titan
@SkyNetRising Sorry delay feedback - I had seen this drive before in disk management and all looked fine, nothing wrong with the drive but the windows startup was bugged from a windows update.

Nevermind, I reformatted the drive and had my developer reinstall the stuff that was needed - costly mistake not to clone the drive. I will be looking to clone a backup this time. What software would you advise for this?
For cloning/imaging, I use Macrium almost exclusively.

Given non-broken hardware, it works.

For this, I'd just make an Image off to some other drive. A clone is for use/drive replacement 'right now'.
An Image is for storing away for later use.

For my systems, I generally have a baseline image....say from Day 1 of building a new system, or Day 1 after a major Window Update.
Then, A Full image and a series of daily (nightly, actually) Incremental or Differential images.