Dual booted Windows 10 with Windows 7, want to get rid of windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOOB2PRO

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
So I have dual booted windows 10 with windows 7 cause I didn't know if I was gonna like it. Turns out, I like it alot! So I want to get rid of my copy of Windows 7 so only windows 10 is on my PC. The only problem is that theyre both installed on the same HDD and my copy of windows 7 has some files on it that I would like to keep. Any idea on how to do this?

Solution
1 - In Windows 10 run Disk Management console and make third partition (shrink second partition). All numbers plus one if you have system
partition usually hidden.
2 - From within Windows 7 copy your files and folder you want to keep to data partition you made before.
3 - Back to Windows 10 and make it Default OS.
4 - open Run (right click on Start) and type msconfig. On Boot menu assign OS you want to delete and delete it(not current or default).
5- Restart computer to check is it all okay
6 - Again from Disk Management console you can format Windows 7 partition.
You should reinstall Windows 7 and upgrade it to Windows 10. Trying to remove the Windows 10 preview partition will be too problematic; leftover Windows system and recovery partitions will wreck havoc on you hard drive, changing it to dynamic, then formatting it will render it useless. Best thing to do is to format the drive using a Linux installer, then reinstall Windows and upgrade.

jovcenaum

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
1 - In Windows 10 run Disk Management console and make third partition (shrink second partition). All numbers plus one if you have system
partition usually hidden.
2 - From within Windows 7 copy your files and folder you want to keep to data partition you made before.
3 - Back to Windows 10 and make it Default OS.
4 - open Run (right click on Start) and type msconfig. On Boot menu assign OS you want to delete and delete it(not current or default).
5- Restart computer to check is it all okay
6 - Again from Disk Management console you can format Windows 7 partition.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.