Dual booting Windows 10 and Linux Mint

Bodrey

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016
OK, so I just bought a new laptop yesterday that came preloaded with Windows 10. It has a 1TB HDD but no ROM drive. I want to set up a dual boot configuration with Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa). I halved the partition size to free up space for Linux and I used Rufus to install Mint on a bootable USB drive. However, I can't get Mint to see the existing Windows 10 partition. It still sees the entire drive as free space:

=102204919&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]http://

I've read and watched several how-tos on the topic but none of them had the problem I'm experiencing. One guy suggested the UEFI needs to be disabled for it to work. Everyone else is saying you have to select the UEFI option. When I try to boot from the USB drive using the UEFI option all I end up getting is a black screen with the Linux Mint logo in the center of the screen; it just sits there and does nothing. If I use the non-UEFI selection in the BIOS for the USB drive I can get as far as the screenshot above and then I'm stuck. Does anyone know how to get past this point? I've been trying all day to figure this out...