[SOLVED] dual channel mode forever eludes me

Sep 25, 2020
Greetings, I have built myself a new computer. I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers, well atleast old school machines, I use to own a couple computer stores back in the 386/486/pentium days but I am long since retired.

While building this I tried two different asus main boards, I started with an asus tuf gaming B460 pro, to which I tried 3 different sets of ram, ALL picked from the asus QVL list, none would work in dual channel mode, only single channel mode.

Then I decided to switch to the asus tuf gaming H470 pro, and I tried all 3 sets of ram again, and still none will work in dual channel mode, only single channel mode. I've returned two different sets of corsair ram and kept the V-color prism (TL48G26S8KRRGB16). A2 and B2 should according to the manual equal dual channel mode, which when looking at the cpu and moving left to right would be the 2nd and 4th memory slots, but I've tried em all.

I am beside myself, I've tried everything I can think of, erasing the bios and starting over, upgrading the bios, taking out my video card and using the intel integrated graphics, setting the bios to xmp, I've tried every possible combination in the memory slots in the hopes the manual had a misprint (in two different boards) lol

Although it runs really nice as is, I paid for the dual channel mode and would like to see it work, do you have any ideas?
Thank you in advance !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Reading the manual for the asus tuf gaming H470 pro
two sticks should be installed in channels B2 and A2.
They are the slots second and fourth away from the processor.
Since you have had the same problem with two different motherboards, I would exclude the possibility that you have a bent socket pin that can cause such symptoms.

A most unusual cause can be a defect in the processor itself.
I have seen this once, and it was the dickens to diagnose.
If you can, try a different processor and see if you get dual channel operation.
Your processor is still under warranty and Intel will be good about replacing it.
Sep 25, 2020
I'm running an I5-10400 CPU and aside from the manual and the fact that both sticks are plugged into one channel, I've also verified it with CPU-Z

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020
Any update on this? I’m having the same problem with the b460 pro!
No dude, I havent gotten it figured out yet.
Read your motherboard manual.
It should instruct you as to which slots should be populated if you have only two ram sticks.
Namely on in each separate channel to get dual channel mode.
I did read the manual, I wish it were that easy a solution, but sadly it isn't.

Reading the manual for the asus tuf gaming H470 pro
two sticks should be installed in channels B2 and A2.
They are the slots second and fourth away from the processor.
Since you have had the same problem with two different motherboards, I would exclude the possibility that you have a bent socket pin that can cause such symptoms.

A most unusual cause can be a defect in the processor itself.
I have seen this once, and it was the dickens to diagnose.
If you can, try a different processor and see if you get dual channel operation.
Your processor is still under warranty and Intel will be good about replacing it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS