[SOLVED] dual channel not working

vesa01

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
I have 2x4gb memory kit in my computer and it has worked just fine until now it recognizes only 4 gb of memory. It knows that there is memory installed in both banks but it just keeps using only 4 gb. I then put the other module to the same channel and now it recognizes that there is 8 gb of memory but I suppose they are probably only in single channel mode then. Should I keep using it like this as they are now or should I buy new 2x4gb kit so that I could use double channel mode. Problem is that it might be motherboard issue, so buying a new kit would not work. I use combuter only for gaming and i'm not sure does that single channel memory even matter or is the performance significantly worse in this configuration.

I have 4 memory banks and I should use bank 1,2 or 3,4 for dual channel but now the memory is in bank 1 and 3.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - you do need a RAM kit that is made up of matched RAM modules for dual channel.

Make and model motherboard? Version?

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Search for the applicable motherboard User Guide /Manual

Double check two things:

1) What RAM and what RAM configurations are supported. There should also be a QVL (Qualified Vendors List)

2) How to install the RAM - the physical slots and pairings. Some motherboards require that a specific RAM slot be populated first.

vesa01

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Yes - you do need a RAM kit that is made up of matched RAM modules for dual channel.

Make and model motherboard? Version?

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Search for the applicable motherboard User Guide /Manual

Double check two things:

1) What RAM and what RAM configurations are supported. There should also be a QVL (Qualified Vendors List)

2) How to install the RAM - the physical slots and pairings. Some motherboards require that a specific RAM slot be populated first.
My motherboard is gigabyte ga-78LMT and I have checked the manual slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 should be used for dual channel configuration and that's what I have been using and it had worked and dual channel was operational. Two days ago I had to disconnect one of the memory chips and when I put it back it did no longer recognize them as dual channel configuration but instead recognized only one memory chip so there was only 4gb of memory. It did not recognize the other chip. I installed them to slots 1 and 3 and after that it recognize that there was 8 gb memory but now they single channel configuration. They were identical corsair cmv8gx3m2a1333c9 chips and they were sold as kit.

Don't know should I buy a new 2x4kit because it might be motherboard issue and buying a new kit would not solve it instead it might even damage the new chips.