Dual channel on Athlon XP?

lindochico

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Can Athlon XP processors benefit from dual channel memory? I thought they could not since dual channel is newer than that generation of CPU's...

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
Yes and no. Note the determining factor is really the motherboard/chipset and supported RAM. If the motherboard supports Dual Channel, then the CPU can to. BUT, with the Athlon 3200+, for example, since it is limited to a 400FSB (without overclocking), over all increased bandwidth provided by dual channel RAM is not taken to its full advantage.

sturm

Splendid
Dual channel has been around since the first Athlon series. I have an Athlon 1.4 ghz with dual channel. But like bill_bright said it depends on the chipset that is used.
Dual channel really only show improvement if your using on-board video.
If not the gain you get is small, but it does help.

Someone correct me if I am wrong:

Socket A (Athlon XP) processors do not have an on die memory controller, this is instead done on the motherboard. So dual channel support is determined by which Socket A motherboard you have, not which processor.

To answer your question: Yes, you will see a benefit. Also, there is a misconception that you need special RAM for dual-channel, that is not true. You just need a motherboard that supports it. Some motherboards will have requirements such as:

- You can only use one stick per channel
- The two channels must have equal amounts of memory

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Having several socket A boards, nforce 2 chipsets, I can say with certainly that you will see very little performance gains from running dual channel. If you have the memory already and the board suports dual channel, then run it. If you need to buy or replace memory (to get matched pairs or whatever) so you can use the dual channel controller then I wouldn't bother, unless you just want to upgrade memory anyway and by doing so will be able to run dual channel.

You also don't need to purchase matched pairs, i.e. dual channel kits [which are nothing more than a pair of sticks that were tested together, or at the very least come from the same batch]. You can run Identical sticks, or even sticks from different manufacturers if they have the same specs. I have the A7N8X boards, and suprisingly it has 3 slots. The way I understand it, you can populate slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 to run dual channel, and you can also populate 1, 2 and 3 and still run dual channel, but slots 1 and 2 are on one controller and slot 3 is on the other.

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
I agree you don't need special memory - but buying two identicle sticks (same specs from the same maker) helps ensure compatibility - but then that is true in many non-dual-channels cases two.

If your "current" motherboard supports it, use it (usually enabled automatically is the board supports it and you install the stick in the correct slots). If it does not don't worry about. If you are buying a new motherboard, make sure it has it.

lindochico

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Thank you all for your replies.

I had my doubts 'cause I thought dual channel had much to do with the cpu than it really does. Thank you very much for the info.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Yes they can, but as someone said earlier, the Athlon XP cannot utilize the full bandwidth offered. Is it worth upgrading??? Probably not at this time since you'd be better off saving your money towards upgrading to one of the new AMD/Intel platform due out in a few months. However, if your current financial situation means you will not be able to afford a platform upgrade anytime soon, then you may want to look into it if you're looking to squeeze more out of what you currently have.

It does depend on what chipset you're using. Some supported it, some didn't. The nForce series are the best IMO. If your also running onboard video with the nForce chipset you will see quite an improvement as the onboard graphics benefit from the added bandwidth as well.

lindochico

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Another question... Since all I need is a pair of ram sticks and an appropriate mobo in order to get dual channel, is there any real difference when using 'value ram' instead of premium ram other than the Latency?

Let's say I choose Corsair Value Ram instead of the XMS series, since they both can do dual channel the performance difference will be given by the latency, right? Will this difference be noticeable?

(Of course, if I use an Athlon64 instead of an AthlonXP! :) )

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You can use value ram. The differences between value ram and faster ram on these boards is minimal.

What board do you have? I have Asus A7N8X boards and they don't like Corsair ram very much.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
So if I get you right, now you're not talking about DDR with an Athlon XP but instead with an Athlon 64.

Value RAM will work fine unless you plan on overclocking. On average, you'll reach the limits of value RAM before reaching the limits over the higher-end stuff.

lindochico

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
@ Pain: My buddy wanted to get a new mobo for his Athlon XP 2400. He was looking into buying an Epox board that supports dual channel. I thought Athlon XP couldn't benefit from a dual channel configuration. That's why I asked.

I'm building a new pc for myself. The only part left for me to buy is the cpu which will be an Athlon64 3200+ (Venice). The mobo I got was the MSI K8n neo4-F. This is how far my budget allows me to go.

I chose Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2. I tried using it in my current board meanwhile (Asus A7V600-X knowing it doesn't support dual channel), and I realized this board doesn't like this memory very much. Games load and move faster but general system performance was somewhat decreased...

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
To test memory I would use prime95 and let it run several hours or overnight. You could also try running memtest-something-something, I forget. A lot of people recommend using it, but me personally I just test the system with prime95 and if it runs overnight I call it stable. That includes all systems, not just overclocked ones, and that is the best way to determine if your board likes the memory you installed.

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
So if I get you right, now you're not talking about DDR with an Athlon XP but instead with an Athlon 64.

Value RAM will work fine unless you plan on overclocking. On average, you'll reach the limits of value RAM before reaching the limits over the higher-end stuff.
Don't confuse double-duty rate (DDR) with dual-channel - not the same thing. DDR is the type of RAM, Dual-channel is how it is utilized.

I recommend MemTest86 because it tests your RAM - not your system. Prime95 is an excellent program, but not really a troubleshooting tool that "isolates" testing to the RAM.

To test your RAM, download and install on to a formatted floppy MemTest86. Then, with the floppy in the drive, reboot the computer. The computer should boot to the floppy and start testing your RAM. Let it run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006

Don't confuse double-duty rate (DDR) with dual-channel - not the same thing. DDR is the type of RAM, Dual-channel is how it is utilized.

I know this. I forgot to put the word "using" before the term DDR in my previous post.

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
i thought ddr was double-data rate
:oops: But I was only off by 2 letters! Darn fingers, I hate it when they don't type what I mean to say! Yes - my mistake! Double-data is correct. Thanks for pointing that out.