[SOLVED] Dual channel RAM not working with motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenterstal

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
Hello all,

On my most recent build I'm struggling to get my dual channel RAM working and have no idea on what next steps to take.

My motherboard is an ASUS PRIME H410I-PLUS/CSM which supports up to 2 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory (From their website).
Previously I bought 2x Ballistix DDR4 2666Mhz from crucial, which I returned because I thought these where incompatible. Currently I have bought Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory (Which I know normally runs at a higher Mhz than my MOBO supports).

Now the problem; when using a single stick in either of the channels (it doesn't matter which of the sticks, both work when using alone) the system boots normally, this way I know both sticks are working. When booting the system with both sticks in dual channel all the fans start spinning as normally but the system doesn't even reach the BIOS.
I tried booting with XMP off, XMP 1 enabled and XMP 2 enabled but all of these BIOS settings won't work.

Is there something I'm missing in the BIOS settings, is this a hardware incompatibility or a faulty MOBO?

Thanks for reading, all suggestions are welcome.

Solution
The most common reason for ram issues in an Intel motherboard is bent socket pins.
This is all too easy to do if you did not drop the cpu in cleanly.
If you had to smoosh it around to get it seated, you likely bent a socket pin.
Common symptoms are disabled ram slots or lack of dual channel operation.
Such damage is considered to be user caused and not a valid reason for a Motherboard RMA.
Take the cpu out and try using a needle to straighten any bent pins. Perhaps a friendly jeweler could do it.
When booting the system with both sticks
What exactly happens in this scenario? Does the system is boot looping? If yes, did you let it do so for some time to find working memory setup?

Generally speaking memory VRMs in this model are most likely crap (even manual mentions using better cooler when using 2 sticks) so if SPD table on those memory kits has 2666 entry (and it likely does) it just might be too fast for this board - at least at default voltage.

stenterstal

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
What exactly happens in this scenario? Does the system is boot looping? If yes, did you let it do so for some time to find working memory setup?

Generally speaking memory VRMs in this model are most likely crap (even manual mentions using better cooler when using 2 sticks) so if SPD table on those memory kits has 2666 entry (and it likely does) it just might be too fast for this board - at least at default voltage.

I have tried keeping it running for 5 minutes (maybe not long enough). I don't know how to identify the system boot looping but the fans stay constant spinning after power up and there is constantly no video output.
Regarding the voltage, does this mean the RAM is oncompatible? Can I manually set the voltage lower? If not what memory do you recommend that is compatible with the motherboard?

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried keeping it running for 5 minutes (maybe not long enough)
That's long enough
I don't know how to identify the system boot looping but the fans stay constant spinning after power up
Then it is not boot looping
Regarding the voltage, does this mean the RAM is oncompatible? Can I manually set the voltage lower?
Nah, just means the board needs a bit more 'oomph' to run it. You actually need to set voltage higher rather then lower. And yes, you can do that manually in BIOS.

Checked the RAM specs btw, it claims to have 2133 SPD entry so it should have no problem running two sticks without XMP whatsoever. To me it looks like motherboard failure. Let's give it last try. Reset CMOS, put one stick in, go to BIOS, set voltage to 1.35 V, disable XMP, save and shut down. Add second stick and boot. If it does not work I'd say change motherboard.

stenterstal

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
That's long enough

Then it is not boot looping

Nah, just means the board needs a bit more 'oomph' to run it. You actually need to set voltage higher rather then lower. And yes, you can do that manually in BIOS.

Checked the RAM specs btw, it claims to have 2133 SPD entry so it should have no problem running two sticks without XMP whatsoever. To me it looks like motherboard failure. Let's give it last try. Reset CMOS, put one stick in, go to BIOS, set voltage to 1.35 V, disable XMP, save and shut down. Add second stick and boot. If it does not work I'd say change motherboard.

Did just that but with voltage set to 1.35V the system only boots with 1 stick using the A1 channel, booting with 1 stick in the B1 channel doesn't anymore. (Booting with both sticks still results in the same behaviour as before).
Also when going in the BIOS -> Advanced Mode -> Ai Tweaker with DRAM voltage set to 1.35v the "prefix" still shows 1.200V as well as in the Hardware monitor section at the right side and under Monitor -> DRAM voltage.

Hello all,

On my most recent build I'm struggling to get my dual channel RAM working and have no idea on what next steps to take.

My motherboard is an ASUS PRIME H410I-PLUS/CSM which supports up to 2 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory (From their website).
Previously I bought 2x Ballistix DDR4 2666Mhz from crucial, which I returned because I thought these where incompatible. Currently I have bought Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory (Which I know normally runs at a higher Mhz than my MOBO supports).

Now the problem; when using a single stick in either of the channels (it doesn't matter which of the sticks, both work when using alone) the system boots normally, this way I know both sticks are working. When booting the system with both sticks in dual channel all the fans start spinning as normally but the system doesn't even reach the BIOS.
I tried booting with XMP off, XMP 1 enabled and XMP 2 enabled but all of these BIOS settings won't work.

Is there something I'm missing in the BIOS settings, is this a hardware incompatibility or a faulty MOBO?

Thanks for reading, all suggestions are welcome.
Latest bios?

The most common reason for ram issues in an Intel motherboard is bent socket pins.
Such damage is considered to be user caused and not a valid reason for a Motherboard RMA.
Take the cpu out and try using a needle to straighten any bent pins. Perhaps a friendly jeweler could do it.

Solution

stenterstal

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015

Will take out the cpu to check if pins are bent but CPU installation went fine as far as I know

Status
Not open for further replies.