Jan 18, 2022
I’m about to buy an asus laptop that has the first 8gb ram soldered onto the board. I’ve read & found compatible ram for the laptop so that’s not an issue. But rather my question might be a weird one that I can’t find an answer to.

Using the factory configuration that the laptop ships with is 8gb soldered on & a removable stick totaling 16 gb. The laptop supports up to 40 gb max and to cut this short since I tend to ramble & confuse people on forums as well as in real life. Haha. But I’m trying to find out if it’s better to keep the laptop at the factory 16gb setup & deal with the lower ram total to have the DUal channel speed boost aka performance boost. Or would it be worth it having mismatched ram amounts aka 8gb Samsung soldered on & I would at least match the Samsung ram brand but add a stick of 32 gb. The reason I chose 32gb is because I have 4 brand new sealed in package ram that’s compatible with this laptop already from another laptop that I sold & never used the ram.

long story short… would it be worth it to have more memory at the cost of losing the DUal channel ram performance? Thanks ahead of time for helping with my crazy questions & sorry also for my long winded ramblings.

The laptop model is “GA503QR-211.ZG15” just in case it’s needed & thanks again.

Last edited:
Solution
You can do it but a problem you would run into is since you're mixing kits (I assume of different speeds and timings) your system will default to the settings of the slower memory.

So if your new ram is faster and has better timings (lower latency) it will be slowed down to match whatever they soldered in there...solder... Ridiculous thing to do.

There is a small chance it won't work at all but it won't hurt to try and yes you will be able to take advantage of dual channel or quad channel if it's an Intel CPU. AMD will support quad channel in gen 4 Ryzen...I think.

So give it a try but run memory benchmarks and some games so you can compare performance after you add the extra memory.

Lastly if you know someone with soldering...
Jan 18, 2022
I’m really trying to get the best performance possible with the new laptop. Because this will be the last time for the unforseeable future that I’ll have the extra money for the gaming system itself. I’ll just have the funds for some extra games after this as time passes but no upgrades unless they are cheap. Trying to squeeze every ounce of whatever the system can give me.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
You can do it but a problem you would run into is since you're mixing kits (I assume of different speeds and timings) your system will default to the settings of the slower memory.

So if your new ram is faster and has better timings (lower latency) it will be slowed down to match whatever they soldered in there...solder... Ridiculous thing to do.

There is a small chance it won't work at all but it won't hurt to try and yes you will be able to take advantage of dual channel or quad channel if it's an Intel CPU. AMD will support quad channel in gen 4 Ryzen...I think.

So give it a try but run memory benchmarks and some games so you can compare performance after you add the extra memory.

Lastly if you know someone with soldering skills or there is a local PC repair place around they could potentially remove the soldered ram for you so you can fill all the slots with the same kit.

Reactions: LogikalX1
Solution
I’m about to buy an asus laptop that has the first 8gb ram soldered onto the board. I’ve read & found compatible ram for the laptop so that’s not an issue. But rather my question might be a weird one that I can’t find an answer to.

Using the factory configuration that the laptop ships with is 8gb soldered on & a removable stick totaling 16 gb. The laptop supports up to 40 gb max and to cut this short since I tend to ramble & confuse people on forums as well as in real life. Haha. But I’m trying to find out if it’s better to keep the laptop at the factory 16gb setup & deal with the lower ram total to have the DUal channel speed boost aka performance boost. Or would it be worth it having mismatched ram amounts aka 8gb Samsung soldered on & I would at least match the Samsung ram brand but add a stick of 32 gb. The reason I chose 32gb is because I have 4 brand new sealed in package ram that’s compatible with this laptop already from another laptop that I sold & never used the ram.

long story short… would it be worth it to have more memory at the cost of losing the DUal channel ram performance? Thanks ahead of time for helping with my crazy questions & sorry also for my long winded ramblings.

The laptop model is “GA503QR-211.ZG15” just in case it’s needed & thanks again.
If the pc has 16GB in it now run your stuff and watch the ram usage.
If your not using all the ram now then adding more ram won't help much.

Reactions: LogikalX1
Jan 18, 2022
If the pc has 16GB in it now run your stuff and watch the ram usage.
If your not using all the ram now then adding more ram won't help much.
My last computers one a laptop & one a desktop both had 32 gb & with my usage they both hovered around 75-100% ram usage. That’s judging by the task manager. I do a lot of heavily modded games, video animation & graphical designing.

I just still don’t know if it’s worth the performance hit or taking a chance with compatibility issues over adding more ram & losing the dual channel performance. My previous PCs might have spoiled me or made my brain think it’s more important than it actually is. Haha
But anyway, thanks everyone for the reply’s & I guess im going to just try it & see what happens. Worst case scenario is that I open a new pack of ram just to put it back in the pack. Ha