Dual channeling my RAM likely to solve my problem? or maybe SSD?

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
So in a previous thread, i mentioned that im having problems with stuttering in all games.

My rig is:
CPU: Intel i5-4590 3.3GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D2V
GPU: Palit GTX 1060 6G Dual
SSD: None
HDD: 1TB Drive
RAM: Transcend JM1600KLH-8G 1x8GB
PSU: FSP 650W Raider 80+ silver
Monitor: 21 inch 1920x1080 60Hz

The problem is not caused by CPU/GPU bottleneck (done montoring, and doesnt seem to be a corrolation between CPU/GPU and the stuttering), nor outdated driverss, temps are all okay, etc..
someone mentioned something about the fact that im single channeling with only 1x8gb, which i didn't know is the worse option in gaming.

So my question is, will investing in another identical 1x8GB stick of ram, which would make it dual channel be a possible solution to my stuttering? Would my MOBO even support dual channeling? or perhaps invest that money on SSD?

Solution
Adding an SSD probably wont help in the stuttering, but adding RAM should do the trick unless i'ts a software/BIOS issue which is probably not the case. Your motherboard does support multiple RAM sticks. You can always check the amount of ram slots by taking a quick look inside your pc or searching the name of your motherboard online.

CeramicTilePudding69

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Adding an SSD probably wont help in the stuttering, but adding RAM should do the trick unless i'ts a software/BIOS issue which is probably not the case. Your motherboard does support multiple RAM sticks. You can always check the amount of ram slots by taking a quick look inside your pc or searching the name of your motherboard online.

Solution

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

Hey thank you for the reply, i know my motherboard does have 2 ram slots and im using 1 of them, but will adding another identical one necessarily make it dual channel? i couldnt find this information for this mobo searching online.

CeramicTilePudding69

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I couldn't find that information either, but I have never heard of a motherboard that has 2 RAM slots but doesn't utilize the 2 channels of the CPU, but if that would be the case, the manufacturer would probably make that very clear.

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

Well, thanks! so probably going to get that 8GB soon, hope it fixes the problem

CeramicTilePudding69

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

No problem :)