Question Dual cpu motherboard

Jan 26, 2022
Hi, i would like to upgrade my PC by changing my MDB and CPU but thought i could keep using the one i have now with the new one. I currently have an i7-7700 socket LGA 1151 and would like to go for a i9-12900kf socket FCLGA 1700. I don't know if dual cpu motherboards can have two different sockets if so i would like the ref of said motherboards plz.
THANKS for your time

kanewolf

Titan
could i leave 1 socket empty for a time and then buying the same CPU ? would that make any issues with the first cpu ?
You can. But only server CPUs support dual socket. Additional hardware is required in the CPU to communicate between CPUs. Only server CPUs (Xeon and AMD Epyc) have the hardware. And to have dual socket support you HAVE to use the PRO version of Windows desktop or Windows Server OS.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you have interest in further exploring that space, there is a fellow on YouTube channel called Tech Yes City. Bry is all about utilizing older equipment and server stuff to see what manner of gaming performance can be gleaned from it. Mostly it doesn't work very well, but some of it is surprising if you can find the components really cheaply.
He often does some really strange things with Chinese boards and components off the like of Ali Express.

I wouldn't say to search through for a specific answer, per se, but for the amusement and edification about the components used this way.

Hi, i would like to upgrade my PC by changing my MDB and CPU but thought i could keep using the one i have now with the new one. I currently have an i7-7700 socket LGA 1151 and would like to go for a i9-12900kf socket FCLGA 1700. I don't know if dual cpu motherboards can have two different sockets if so i would like the ref of said motherboards plz.
THANKS for your time
No you can't have two different sockets on the same motherboard. You can get dual system PC cases that allow you to run two systems within one box:

As others have said, not possible to mix CPU's on the same board, and even then you can only really dual CPU with Xeons and some older AMD server stuff, but you do take a performance hit in games for example, I got a LGA 1356 server with dual e5 2470s for a total of 16 cores 32 threads, its fast and all, I got a GTX1660 in it and with just a single e5 2470 I got better more consistent performance with just 1 CPU, with both installed, most games run fine, but there is a noticeable performance drop in some cases in like Call of Duty for example where that just wasn't an issue with a single CPU. So I honestly wouldn't even waste your time with dual CPU systems for gaming, if you need it for certain work loads, then hey it might be worth it but will come at a cost with newer stuff anyway.