Dual CPU's

G

Is there a noticable increase in performance with Dual CPU's? I know it requires a SMP application or OS- i'm not an idiot. But, i've never compared the two and i don't exactly have the cash to go buy a dual cpu system and run benchmarks. So, I'm asking you guys. Also, is it work the extra cash? Thanks.

-SluttyGirl

The more people I meet, the more I like dogs.

mpjesse

Splendid
Yes and no. Personally, I don't think the performance increase is worth the extra cash- unless your a die hard performance freak. Like you stated earlier- it requires that the application be SMP enabled- which weaves out a lot of apps. There is a noticable increase in SYSTEM performance.

Again, it all depends on what your doing. If you working with CAD or photoshop- the only way to go is Dual CPU's... for the average user it's probably not worth the cash. Average users mess with word processors, games, and the internet. Few games are SMP enabled and pretty much no internet app is SMP enabled.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

nice name

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you 'are' an IT professional then you should be able to answer your own question, I find it very hard to believe you would even ask this.

but if you want to know, a dual system not only doubles yours perfermance but it also gives you more control over wayward processes.

****come on guys! stop posing as women here! please.****

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

G

I'm an INDUSTRY ANALYST. Since you obviously have NO idea what that means- let me define it for your little brain. I study trends, consumer purchases, the overall mood of the inudstry. I know a little about technology- but I know a ton about industry and how it effects IT. I work with numbers and polls. I asked this question because it seems that Dual CPU's are a new trend in the end user market (mainly for hobbiests) and i'm doing a report on it. Most of you people are hobbiests and i'm trying to get an opinion on the whole thing.

Jesus, I post one question on this board and I immediately get flamed.

And for your information- i'm posting as a woman because I AM A WOMAN. Are you sexist or something? Is it so hard to believe that a woman can turn on a computer, get on the net, and post a message?

-Launa

G

"Dual CPU's are a new trend in the end user market (mainly for hobbiests)"

Hobbiests? Hobbiests? Whaaa!!! You don't know a freakin thing do you? I'd never employ you that's for sure. I wouldn't bang your brains out either, wouldn't want my willy to turn green. So umm...if you have so many IT links why make a post here? You sound like a fat unemployed tart to me.

"The more people I meet, the more I like dogs", I think you like dogs more because you relate to them more and probably smell like them too.

"Slutty girl"...what a dumb and trashy login name...suits your character though. Fu*#ck off slut.

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

G

"If you working with CAD or photoshop- the only way to go is Dual CPU's."

I couldnt agree less. Have a look
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">here</A> and <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1472&p=14" target="_new"> here </A>

SMP does very little for photoshop.. contrary to popular believe (including mine). Just one or two specific filters that take advantage of it, but in general, you simply want the fastest cpu out there.. One of them only, and as much RAM as you can cramp in your machine.

CAD may be a different story..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Dual CPU's are a new trend in the end user market (mainly for hobbiests)"

Hobbiests? Hobbiests? Whaaa!!! You don't know a freakin thing do you? I'd never employ you that's for sure. I wouldn't bang your brains out either, wouldn't want my willy to turn green. So umm...if you have so many IT links why make a post here? You sound like a fat unemployed tart to me.</b>
I don't see any wrong with that statement. What the percentage of <b>End User</b> using them at home? More than 50%???
<b>Slutty girl"...what a dumb and trashy login name...suits your character though. Fu*#ck off slut.</b>
Anyway, like I said before I still don't see your education do any good to your manner!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Wow... I guess every board has it's village idiots. My question is this: what did I ever say or do to these people to make them hate me so much?

-Launa

G

Spoken like a true gentleman. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

-Launa

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SMP is good even if you don't use SMP enabled apps.
you have a free processor to continue working with while you encode MP3s or Divx.
SMP is good for a power user in the fact that assuming you have enough memory and a decent harddrive you won't have to wait on the system as often, rarely will you ever spike 100% usage of both processors, leaving quite a few cycles available to work with. you can get equal processing power with a faster cpu, no doubt, but you can not get the same baseline level of performance.
Essentially, for a power user, it equals to a spare cpu most of the time. if you use your PC at above 80% processor utilization most of the time, its worth it, it makes the experience much more pleasant.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

G

What are you talking about khha4113? The ignorant statement I was refering to was:

"I asked this question because it seems that Dual CPU's are a new trend in the end user market (mainly for hobbiests) and i'm doing a report on it"

Mainly for hobbiests???? Does this sound like an industry analyst to you? Look up the word "gullible" in the dictionary while your staring into a mirror.

As for the login name "slutty girl"...most females would resent being called a slut. Only a true moron would be proud of labeling themselves one. Kinda like the login "child molester" ... don't tell me you'd be proud to call yourself that.... perhaps you would? Cockhead.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
She never claimed he was an IT proessional. How about yourself? You are only 12 years old. Why don't you come back when you actually work in the field like the rest of us.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AeroSnoop on 05/25/01 12:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Are you insecure or are you simply starving for affection? Or perhaps your a virgin. Stop kissing butt, makes me sick.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ring Ring brainiac. End users are every day consumers. Dual CPUs are common in the corporate world, but for Joe Blow's home PC it is uncommon. The exception here would be Computer Hobbiests, also known as Power Users. You know, the people that drop $1k on a CPU and hook it up to their refridgerator to squeeze every last MHz out of it. Perhaps you should expand your own obviously limited vocabulary before spouting off about the ignorance of others.

Have you ever heard of satire or cynicism? You should look them up so that you can clue in to the world the rest of us obviously take for granted. You should especially take a good look at your own signature before making any derogatory comments as to the virtue of someone you've only just met.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"She" are you sure it's a she? think about it.

I know AMD puppies are not that stupid or naive, but maybe I'm wrong.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Mainly for hobbiests????</b>
Yes for home user.
<b>As for the login name "slutty girl"...most females would resent being called a slut. Only a true moron would be proud of labeling themselves one.</b>
And that <b>DOES NOT</b> excuse you from using offensive words of yours.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>"She" are you sure it's a she? think about it.</b>
Irrelevant!
I know INTEL lemmings are not that stupid, but maybe I'm wrong.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Have you ever heard of satire or cynicism? You should look them up so that you can clue in to the world the rest of us obviously take for granted. You should especially take a good look at your own signature before making any derogatory comments as to the virtue of someone you've only just met.</b>
Well said!