Question Dual monitors crashing GPU when playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2020
Specs:
GPU: Radeon Rx 590
CPU: Intel I7 6700
Motherboard: MSI Z170M
Ram: 24Gb, 2x8Gb G-Skill Ripjaws and 2x4Gb G-Skill Ripjaws
PSU: 650W Corsair ATX Semi-modular
Case: Corsair 460x RGB
3 fans, 2 in, 1 out.

I'm using a DisplayPort to HDMI for one of my monitors (the most recent addition) and HDMI to HDMI for the other one. Both are connected to the GPU and once I stopped using dual monitors the problem went away.

When the game crashes, nothing graphically intensive is happening, just walking sometimes. The graphics quality in-game makes no difference.
Crashed on Far Cry 5, State of Decay Juggernaut edition, and Destiny 2.
The crash freezes the screen but the audio continues, then a black screen on both monitors. When the screen comes back the game closes shortly after. Never anything else like chrome or MSI afterburner. The temp never goes above 60* and I have all the latest drivers.

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
Sounds like a driver issue. I know it is cliche, but upgrade to the latest driver.

But also, and I admit I might be a little outdated, but Radeon RX is an AMD GPU. From my understanding in the past, AMD products work best with AMD products, they always had compatibility issues with other products such as with Intel CPU or Nvidia GPU.

I know AMD made tremendous strides in the past couple of years, but their product had always been plagued with compatibility issues throughout history with other hardwares.

Sep 19, 2020
Sounds like a driver issue. I know it is cliche, but upgrade to the latest driver.

But also, and I admit I might be a little outdated, but Radeon RX is an AMD GPU. From my understanding in the past, AMD products work best with AMD products, they always had compatibility issues with other products such as with Intel CPU or Nvidia GPU.

I know AMD made tremendous strides in the past couple of years, but their product had always been plagued with compatibility issues throughout history with other hardwares.
Thank you very much I actually found the issue about an hour ago was the DisplayPort to HDMI cable I was using for the second monitor so quite an easy fix :)

Status
Not open for further replies.