[SOLVED] Dual Monitors vs Ultrawide Monitor with GTX 960 4GB

Jun 10, 2021
Hi, I am planning a dual monitor setup for level designing in Unreal Engine which I started recently. I had one confusion regarding the setup on whether to go for an extra monitor and make a dual monitor setup of 1920x1080 monitors or get an LG ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor to work with my GTX 960 4GB. Now, I weighed the pros and cons but there is one thing that I cannot resolve. When using two monitors, if I want to do some rendering stuff or light building in Unreal Engine, I can switch of one monitor so that the GPU only has to power one monitor and the performance would increase whereas in an ultrawide monitor, all the pixels would be powered up and there may be a decrease in performance. Is this deduction correct? Can the switching off property really affect my performance that much?

Solution
I can switch of one monitor so that the GPU only has to power one monitor and the performance would increase
It doesn't work like that, if you have another panel connected off the GPU(discrete or iGPU/motherboard) the system will still see two panels, and yes it does cause the GPU clocks to run higher but as long as you define which screen is being used for render, the GPU will not render on the other monitor unless you set the window to render on second monitor.

You're good to go with either a single large panel or dual panels. Please keep in mind that there are some people who prefer multimonitor layouts to compartmentalize their work across screens instead of having all work on one (large)screen.

FYI, thread title has GTX940...

Lutfij

Titan
I can switch of one monitor so that the GPU only has to power one monitor and the performance would increase
It doesn't work like that, if you have another panel connected off the GPU(discrete or iGPU/motherboard) the system will still see two panels, and yes it does cause the GPU clocks to run higher but as long as you define which screen is being used for render, the GPU will not render on the other monitor unless you set the window to render on second monitor.

You're good to go with either a single large panel or dual panels. Please keep in mind that there are some people who prefer multimonitor layouts to compartmentalize their work across screens instead of having all work on one (large)screen.

FYI, thread title has GTX940, thread tag and thread body shows GTX960, so which one are you referring to?

Reactions: rhsojitra
Solution
Jun 10, 2021

FYI, thread title has GTX940, thread tag and thread body shows GTX960, so which one are you referring to?

So, there is not much difference in the performance of the GPU even if it has to power those extra pixels of an ultrawide monitor all the time instead of only half of the pixels in the dual monitor setup when one monitor is not connected?

P.S. - Sorry for the typo in the thread title. I am talking about GTX 960 4GB.