Currently running SBS2000 with a dual motherboard but with
only one processor. Q, If I add another identical
processor to the board will the Operating System just
accept it or will I need to go through repair/reinstall
process etc...

"Radacan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
> Currently running SBS2000 with a dual motherboard but with
> only one processor. Q, If I add another identical
> processor to the board will the Operating System just
> accept it or will I need to go through repair/reinstall
> process etc...

When I did it in Win2K, I had to use the Install CD to copy the
multiprocessor kernel to the computer. After a reboot, it recognized the
2nd processor. You may have to do the same with XP.

It was not a repair or reinstall process -- more like adding a feature not
yet loaded.

Only Windows XP Pro will allow two physical processors. Home only supports
1 (with or without HT).

"Radacan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Currently running SBS2000 with a dual motherboard but with
> only one processor. Q, If I add another identical
> processor to the board will the Operating System just
> accept it or will I need to go through repair/reinstall
> process etc...

Duh

You may want to try one of the windows 2000 newsgroups with that question.

"Radacan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Currently running SBS2000 with a dual motherboard but with
> only one processor. Q, If I add another identical
> processor to the board will the Operating System just
> accept it or will I need to go through repair/reinstall
> process etc...

XP Home supports HT and will show dual processors when an HT chip is installed.

"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message news:uhaplMtLEHA.1032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Only Windows XP Pro will allow two physical processors. Home only supports
> 1 (with or without HT).
>

> "Radacan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Currently running SBS2000 with a dual motherboard but with
> > only one processor. Q, If I add another identical
> > processor to the board will the Operating System just
> > accept it or will I need to go through repair/reinstall
> > process etc...

I originally said that Home will only support one physical processor. That
said, it can also support HT.