Dual Screen on Laptops

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I was wondering if it is possible to get a video/graphics card (external if possible) that will allow dual screen to run at the same time. I like to use CAD to do some of my work and have been used to using dual screens for a while now. At my new job though they use laptops and I am not sure if there is a way to get an external dual screen video card for it.

I know I posted in the tv card section as well I am just not sure of where this post actually belongs sorry.

I was wondering if it is possible to get a video/graphics card (external if possible) that will allow dual screen to run at the same time. I like to use CAD to do some of my work and have been used to using dual screens for a while now. At my new job though they use laptops and I am not sure if there is a way to get an external dual screen video card for it.

Please be a little more detailed in your description of both the use (2 external monitors, or the Laptop LCD+ 1 external) and of your current laptop, and I'll see what fits you best.

2 quick suggestions for the dual external, a 2D PCMCIA card, or the Matrox dual/triple head to go solutions that use a wide screen image sent out the external monitor port to stretch across 2 screens.

they will both cost about the same but accomplish diffedrent tasks.

Does your laptop not have a VGA output?

The TripleHead2Go sounds like a good option, a PCMCIA card doens't really have enough bandwidth.

If he's only doing 2D it'll be fine or the most basic 3D (think NeoMagic class), If he only needs 2 monitors, then the dual head to go would be the wise choice unless keeping and eye on the future.

Alot depends on needs and available options.

I don't think I've seen a laptop since 1999 that hasn't come with some sort of external VGA/DVI support of some kind, so I'd think that may be the best long term solution as it would work on his current laptop and future laptop/desktops regardless of configuration as long as it's got some analogue output support, either through DB-15 or DVI-VGA.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Agreed on the dualhead. Our transportation manager uses this to drive two monitors from his one output on his docking station works like a charm (even though "officially" his graphics card is not supported). There's a review on Tom's somewhere.

TRENDING THREADS