[SOLVED] dual vs single channel RAM outside of gaming. Is there a big difference ?

CeroCry

Prominent
May 25, 2019
So I am going to buy myself a laptop that's gonna be only used for university stuff. i.e programs like Blender,Photoshop,VisualStudio. So I have my eyes on a laptop that has 2x4GB of ram and one with 1x8GB. I know that there is a big difference when it comes to gaming, but is there a difference outside of gaming?

Solution
So I am going to buy myself a laptop that's gonna be only used for university stuff. i.e programs like Blender,Photoshop,VisualStudio. So I have my eyes on a laptop that has 2x4GB of ram and one with 1x8GB. I know that there is a big difference when it comes to gaming, but is there a difference outside of gaming?
All the same performance limitations apply. If you have something that is CPU limited (VisualStudio compiles) , or needs to move a lot of data (Photoshop) then giving the CPU 1/2 the designed bandwidth will hurt performance. Whether you can tolerate that performance hit is up to you.

kanewolf

Titan
All the same performance limitations apply. If you have something that is CPU limited (VisualStudio compiles) , or needs to move a lot of data (Photoshop) then giving the CPU 1/2 the designed bandwidth will hurt performance. Whether you can tolerate that performance hit is up to you.

Solution

CeroCry

Prominent
May 25, 2019
Okey thanks for the help!