Duke Nukem Forever: Designed to Fool You

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirvanabah

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
We're to believe this guy was threatened with death over a game? Seriously? I may have believed the story up until the whole chair leg incident, but give me a break.

G

Its great. I'm sure the game is going to be released shortly. All this is just to throw everybody off and then release the greatest game ever created. You ask why would they do such a thing? Why not they can get away with anything they want. The hype will be all over the news after they announce the release. Even people that have lone forgotten about duke will see it on the news as the biggest prank ever played on gamers.

G

I'm suddenly reminded of the movie ANTITRUST where the evil corporate KEPT DETAILED FILES of their evil programmer-killing antics.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
It.... Somewhat makes sense.....

It's a really bizarre case of milking the cow to the last drop. And still use the (In life support?) cow to gouge other cows? ...... (LOL at bizarre analogy.)

If there were any other evidence, like other companies being offered the engine with the pretense that "Duke Nukem Forever was almost being delayed because the engine evolves so fast." I would have totally believe in it.

zaz123

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
It is very possible that this is a 3-part play completely orchestrated by 3DR--its like theater: we are at the end of the second act--where everything has gone to hell. The third act--the crescendo--is imminent. They are manipulating the hype machine like masters--even on the Yahoo frontpage, there was already a story of a guy with a 12-year old DNF preorder, with a picture of the receipt.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/gaming-s-oldest-preorder-may-go-unfulfilled/1312328

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
That's an interesting yarn to read. In all honesty, it comes across as an attempt by someone to explain why they were taking too long. Perhaps they *had* decided to see how much "free hype" they could build up, or perhaps not. Or, perhaps, as seemed to be common in the earlier days of development teams, you had too many people with differing ideas with no clear hierarchy between them, and hence you had two "equals" who could not come to a compromise?

Either way, Duke Nukem Forever has indeed wound up taking longer, I think, than any other game out there; I mean, games like Half-Life², Super Mario Galaxy, and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind all took only around 6 years to come out. The only thing remotely comparable might be StarCraft II, which so far is some 11 years, but it's pretty clear that Blizzard has NOT been working on it all that time. Which, in turn, does perhaps give some credence to the ideas that Duke Nukem Forever hasn't actually had much serious development during all this time. Of course, that blog story isn't exactly a terribly likely explanation; after all, it DOES include an acusation of physical assault, which is pretty serious.

G

Prediction: DNF will be, to the shock of the world, released out of the blue. The move will be considered one of the greatest PR manipulations of all time, destined for the history books. People will then play the game, realize it isn't even very good, and a month later no one will ever care about any of it.

this game better make me feel funny in my pants or its going to be a massive let down to me and all the fans like its going to have to be something spectacular and new

on the other hand Prey was pretty dam epic and that was pretty much late

DNF a Movie? We had Rambo in the 80's... I mean, i like the idea/concept, but it's already done and kinda old...

Truth is, i'd just love to see Duke in human shape, but there is no1 for the job IMO. CGI Movie perhaps!

As long as the cliché phrases are in there, i'll love it XD

Make a movie first, the money for the game will come after that, lol.

Esop!

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
With so much attention and delay, I didn't think they would actually release a DNF. There is no way that any game could possibly be good enough to meet people's expectations after all these years of hype. If they did release DNF, it would always be viewed as "Daikatana 2" no matter how good the game actually was.

However, I really did think they would've put out a couple of smaller Duke Nukem games while they told everyone that they're still working on Forever.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
If the story about having 70 or so more tasks to complete was true, then the game is largely done. No one is going to let that go to waste. Worst case scenario is that some other company will buy up 3dRealms assets and finish it themselves.

If DNF is actually in development, somebody will finish it. If it isn't then George Broussard will likely be found dead soon, and people will debate for decades whether it was suicide or murder.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
There's still just a small shred of me that wants to think this is all a giant marketing gimmik leading up to Duke's release in a few weeks.

I mean, if they are really in a do-or-die situation, they would have taken what they have - it's been 12 friggin years. . . they have to have SOMETHING - put a little polish on it, and box it up. Even if it totally sucked ass, they would have still sold a million copies easily.

None of this adds up.

G

Guys... Wiederhold states, right there on his blog, that that story is fiction, meant as a joke, written in 2007.

Sweet journalism right here.

G

>If the story about having 70 or so
> more tasks to complete was true,
> then the game is largely done.

It was 70 more tasks to complete the MILESTONE. That milestone was not the end of development.

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.