Duke Nukem Forever PC Uses Steamworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
First I saw Steam in Steamworks, so I was happy, then I saw Steamworks, and I was disappointed, then I clicked the article and found out it was coming to Steam, so I was once again happy.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
FTA "ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc."

No, it ensures that you can not loan game to a friend or sell it. If they just worry about re-downloading the game, they could have give you ability to run the game without STEAM, and a STEAM code for your copy, so that you could register it with STEAM if you want to.

OH! The twisting of truth!

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I never thought I'd say this, but I almost exclusively buy my games on Steam. I've repurchased things on Steam so I can get rid of the box... I don't know what's wrong with me :)

whiteout506

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I was actually thinking about skipping Duke Nukem Forever in favor of my already reserved copy of Bulletstorm, but now that I see the goodies in the Balls of Steel edition, I'm tempted to pre-order it. :p

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I would take a platform where Publishers feel comfortable releasing their games on over have the option to share my games with others.

I can't share a game if it's never released [on PC].

[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]FTA "ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc."No, it ensures that you can not loan game to a friend or sell it. If they just worry about re-downloading the game, they could have give you ability to run the game without STEAM, and a STEAM code for your copy, so that you could register it with STEAM if you want to. OH! The twisting of truth![/citation]

No, that's just one way of reading it ;D

And you can let your friends play your games over Steam ;D

Cheers!

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Yup, if Steam didn't "have" to install a program on MY computer to work - I might think more of it. But since it does - it won't ever get used by me.[/citation]

You're installing a program on YOUR precious computer every time you get a new game anyway! Logic fail! Steam is no different. Why do you own a computer if you are too high and mighty to install programs on it?

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]No, that's just one way of reading it ;DAnd you can let your friends play your games over Steam ;DCheers![/citation]

No shill, that's exactly the point of linking the physical media to Steamworks. It's DRM, which is fine, but it also prevents resell, which is not.

Steam is great for their sales, I have lots of new games and not one over $20. The convenience is not having to drive to the store and likely pay double. It loses that convenience when you've already decided to buy a physical copy. Name any other property you have other than software, that you can't resell, or give away.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if you don't liek steam don't buy it... this is one fo the few titles comign out that i'll pay full price for on release

i'm loving the demo from when borderlands was 15 on steam (and 3 bucks for each of the 3 expantions)

That's perfectly fine with me. I would be happy to just buy all of my games via Steam. I don't need brick and morter stores with thier rip off prices and cashier jerks. (Yeah, in my experience most of them are jerks. The women tend to be friendly though.)
Aside from all that don't see any need for a physical medium. Perhaps someday even the new console games will be on a sales platform similar to steam. Thus getting rid of gamestop and crappy game stores that charge excessive prices.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jpmucha[/nom]I never thought I'd say this, but I almost exclusively buy my games on Steam. I've repurchased things on Steam so I can get rid of the box... I don't know what's wrong with me[/citation]I have the same problems. I love Steam. But I do feel bad for those with a slow internet connection. My old DSL was like 0.75MB connection so it took forever d/l install a steam game. My cable connection is now 15MB so about an hour for the average game.

mastadisasta_31

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I only buy Digital copies now. D2D, Steam, Impulse, and GOG.com
I have come across so many good deals. And I only purchase the deals. My only exception is pre-ordering Biowares games and The Witcher 2

mastadisasta_31

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Everyone needs to Pre-order The Witcher 2 from GOG.com. So we can show them all, that we are willing to fork out our hard earned middle class money for games that are DRM FREE. Yes The Witcher 2 is DRM Free if you pre-order from GOG.com

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
FRANK THE TANK SAYS F*** STEAM !

seriously though, pretty cool. I like being able to reinstall my games without hunting down the disc. Although... it would be faster to find the disc and install it and not waste bandwidth hmm..

G

[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]FTA "ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc."No, it ensures that you can not loan game to a friend or sell it. If they just worry about re-downloading the game, they could have give you ability to run the game without STEAM, and a STEAM code for your copy, so that you could register it with STEAM if you want to. OH! The twisting of truth![/citation]

Beat me to it, exactly, Steam is nothing but DRM dressed up as Digital Distribution Software, i have no choice but to use it..

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Screw the retailers. They've been fucking over PC gamers since at least the mid-90's with increasingly smaller and smaller displays and selection for PC games. Doesn't everyone just use Amazon these days for purchases like that anyway (those that insist on having a physical copy, that is)? The future of PC gaming is undoubtedly online distribution.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Pre-order goodies are only for GameStop and Walmart, but not Amazon unfortunately. I sure hope there isn't any DLC for this game for purchase after the fact. I think waiting 12 years is enough for free updates. I hope the remake of DN 3D is free, and I've read reports it is.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
what will happen in regards to brick-and-mortar retailers who are opposed to selling PC games packaged with Steamworks

With luck? Chapter 11!

Those who pre-order the PC version now will receive an additional DLC Pack called Duke's Big Package which includes the Ego Boost, Big Heads and Lady Killing War-Drobe mods.

Pre release DLC... Awesome... How about a 10$ DLC to add guns in a shooter while we are at it. The game could ship with kick attacks only!

Status
Not open for further replies.